Tech Support banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very confused because I created a vhdx file about two weeks ago and I don't recall having to do several of these steps listed here. Creating and setting up virtual hard disk drives on Windows 10

As I recall all I need was tell it to make a vhdx file and it did, don't understand why I have to do these steps now.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What I have to do is first mount the OMG files with Laplink in Hyper-V running Windows 7......since I can't do that in windows 10- it won't work. Then once they are mounted make backups of the omg files (they will show as hard drives in Windows 10 once they are mounted), so they are vhd/vhdx files that Windows 10 CAN mount and view in disk management. Looks like windows backup when you create a hard drive image (that I must have used, not disk management- just disk management to mount the image), can't create one of any hard drive you want, only your main C drive. If one of those other programs can then I'd be all set.

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
You can't edit the thread now, but when you post something, please put all the information that pertains to your issue, what your computer specs are. What software you have installed that you are trying to work with, any conflicting software you might have recently installed, Anti-Virus etc and any other information that will help us help you.
In this thread, it would have been good Intel to put in the OP that you are working with a Laplink .omg files and you wanted to make a VXHD out of them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would have been good Intel to put in the OP that you are working with a Laplink .omg files and you wanted to make a VXHD out of them.
Well, now that that's firmly established, that's good. Technically I don't need to do before I reinstall Windows 10 (think you posted in that thread about it) but if I want to have them in a format I can access on windows 10 without going through windows 7 with Hyper-V I will need to.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That link works for me too. Clear your browsers cache and try again, Try a different browser, disable Anti-virus to load the page
Doesn't work with firefox even after clearing the cache, does work with IE, and chrome. Anyway, the link you have me tells you how to attach VHD's in disk management, this I already knew. It's creating them I need help with. Since the omg files I created with an earlier version of laplink running windows 7, and they can't be mounted and explored in Windows 10 (even with the latest laplink version) what I have to do is

1. Open Hyper-V running windows 7.
2. Run the version of laplink I created the omg files with
3. Mount the omgs file so I can view the files
4. Make an image of those drives that are mounted IN SOME FORM that can be transferred to an external hard drive (that Hyper V running Windows 7 can see- it can see external drives) and mounted in Windows 10 to view the files.

I created a VHDx and mounted it using disc management, but the link I gave at the beginning of this thread describes it differently that I what I did. As I recalled, I just made the image of the hard drive, it didn't involve steps past 8, which is what is confusing me.

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
You have been doing multiple posts on troubles with Laplink over the years, you were helped here Running Windows XP or 7 to use old programs. And Here Upgraded to windows 10, now taking a LONG time to start There is no need to create new posts over the same subject, with variations
Laplink already told you it was not possible to mount .omd files in Windows 10 with your version of the software.
Why not create a Virtual Machine of Windows 7 or XP in Windows 10 using VirtualBox then you can mount your .omg files there and extract the data you want from them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You have been doing multiple posts on troubles with Laplink over the years, you were helped here Running Windows XP or 7 to use old programs. And Here Upgraded to windows 10, now taking a LONG time to start There is no need to create new posts over the same subject, with variations
Laplink already told you it was not possible to mount .omd files in Windows 10 with your version of the software.
Why not create a Virtual Machine of Windows 7 or XP in Windows 10 using VirtualBox then you can mount your .omg files there and extract the data you want from them.
Some of it has been different, basically I'm trying to get the information from Windows 7 to Windows 10, using different methods, none of which have worked sofar. I'll try virtualbox, but I don't know how to extract the information (I'd have to look I'd guess)

Like I said in post 13 in this thread, it's step 4 I need to do, and that I haven't gotten an answer for is the most important point/what it boils down to. What you describe using virtual box is what I HAVE been trying to do in Hyper-V. Bottom line is I must get them into a form that's usable in Windows 10 where I can view the files.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your Windows 7 HDD is still intact, you can attach it to your Windows 10 computer with a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure and drag and drop the files to the Windows 10 machine
I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 on my internal hard drive (which is the only one I have inside the computer) so I don't have two separate hard drives one with 7 and one with 10. I have tried to do something similar to what you are suggesting, which is

1. Run Windows 7 in hyper V
2. Mount the omg files in Windows 7 with Laplink 5
3. Make a folder for all the files on each mounted omg file. (I have three- all three are on an external hard drive)
4. Copy and Paste everything from each mounted drive to the 3 folders each I create for them.
5. Copy the hard drive folders with the files on them to an external hard drive (since they will be big)

Now, they'd be accessible to me on Windows 10, as file folders, but this does not work, if I try to copy and paste everything to those folders from each mounted drive, it will not let me do it, I'll get errors/it will stop me every so often with "the file name is too long" "this is a system file, it can not be moved," etc.

·
Registered
40,763 Posts
The only files you are going to be interested in, if it is from a Windows 7 machine, are C:\Users\[UserName} (ie) Documents, Pictures, Music etc. You do not need any files from C:\Windows.
If it is from an XP machine, it will be C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name] Of course, change the drive letter to whatever it is mounted as. you can't copy Windows, Programs Files, or any other System File, so those should be the only files you will need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts