Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have never used Linux in my entire life, but after reading about Ubuntu, being a functional, easy to use, rather advanced, free OS, I got intereted into using it. The only downfall, though, was compared to some other Linux GUI's, it didn't have the most attractive GUI. Soon, I found out that Kubuntu was exactly the same, but instead has a more attractive KDE interface. I then decided to download the live disk version. I was asked the destination, which I specified as 'e:' (my CD RW/DVD ROM drive), so then the tedious download and burning task started. After an hour or so, all was set to go, or so I thought, the only problem: Windows XP can't open iso files. So, I ask, where do I go from here? Did I even download it in the correct way? Oh, while im here, when I finally do have a functional Live CD, how do I exit Linux and return to Windows XP (not ready to make the plunge)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
alright you have downloaded the livecd right?

now get a burning program like UltraISO or something

open the program and open the iso

burn it to a blank cd and restart your computer

make sure that the bios is set to boot from cd before hd and put the cd in the drive and it will boot from it. It will go through a process of dumping the contents into memory and you'll have a working linux on your desktop. When you turn off your computer, remove the Live cd from your drive and it should boot from HD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. What I did was when I downloaded the program, I set it to save itself onto a blank CD. I've already burnt it to the CD, but when I try to open the iso file it says
'Windows cannot open this file:

Kubuntu-5.10-live-i386.iso

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer

What do you want to do?

[choice 1] Use the webservice to find the appropiate program

[choice 2] Select the program from the list'

So, I ask, what do I do?

·
Henry
3,490 Posts
It depends on your type of BIOS: Phoenix, IBM, AMI, etc.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well to burn the ISO in XP you need to download a program like Deep Burner which is free. It's rediculous that XP has CD burning support but no support for cd images. But hey that's Microsoft and Microsoft sucks.

As far as the bios boot it should be set to do that by default. Burn the image first and try to boot to it. If it fails we can mess with bios.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
837 Posts
Aeuzent said:
...As far as the bios boot it should be set to do that by default. Burn the image first and try to boot to it. If it fails we can mess with bios.
Ok, Messing With The BIOS can be Bad. What You Want To Do is look for where it says "Boot Priority" Or Something To That Effect, And There You Should See You Hard Drive, Your CD-ROM and IF You Have It, Your Floppy. Set The CD-ROM to the first boot priority, then you will be able to boot off of the CD.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'll get back to you soon on the other stuff, but my im planning to use the CD on a Sony Vaio PCG-GRS700 and a Compaq Amarda 7800 (at least I think its 7800). So I presume Sony BIOS and Compaq BIOS. I'll try it on the Compaq first since its old, and fairly worthess.

Also, how do u actually get into BIOS to change stuff?

As for Microsoft sucking, I don't hate Microsoft, I just want to try something different. I might change my opinion after using Linux. I must admit though 9x OSes where HELL. Win 95/98/98SE/ME sucked so bad. I really got used to 'You have performed an illegal operation. If problems persist please contact your vendor'. Basically, according to Windows, everything I did was an illegal operation. Plus im sick of Winrot. I also have a Mac running OS 10.3.9. OS X rules.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well the errors you get in linux are much more detailed and will tell you exactally what's wrong so you can fix it.

But it won't be in plain english. It takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I used DeepBurner Free 1.7. Does this sound right?

CD name: CDRoot

File system: CDFS

Used space: 307,200 bytes - 300KB

Free space: 0 bytes - 0KB

Don't know about you, but to me this doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys

Thanks guys, think i've finally done it. All I need to know now is how to set a Compaq BIOS and a Sony BIOS to boot from the CD. In fact, I don't even know how to get to the BIOS!

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well first try leaving the CD in the drive and rebooting the machine. There's a chance we don't even need to mess with the bios.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I restarted the Compaaq computer, leaving the CD in. The CD at first powered up but didn't do anything else. The computer proceeded to Boot into Windows.

I feel real dumb saying this, but I still have doubts that I burnt the ISO image correctly via Deep burn. According to Windows, the CD has 300KB on it, and has been labelled CDRoot.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welll did you use Deep Burner and say "Burn Image File" or did you try to open the ISO with some kind of archive program?

And when you say the cd starts what does that mean?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I choose 'burn ISO file', and then proceeded. From memory (this computer im writing im on now doesn't have deep burner), the 'burn' button was fazed out, only the erase button was available. So I opened it from the menu, and it had a white space at the side saying 'burn ISO image', so I presumed that it would burn the ISO image. I burnt it and there we go. Also, Deep Burner didn't 'see' the kubuntu file, I had to change the choice bar when searching to 'all files'.

Sorry, I should have used better wording, the CD drive appeared to be starting to spin, but didn't continue to open Kubuntu.

I wouldn't be supprised if the computer has mis calculated the amount of Data on the CD drive. Its says there is no more available space after 300KB, which is just wrong since these CD's are CD-R's that hold 700MB.

Anyway, lets try to boot it from the CD anyways. Im sure that ill work it out eventually. I feel so stupid. Im not computer illiterate, but im not as good as you guys. I can burn another when I get home anyways if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I choose 'burn ISO file', and then proceeded. From memory (this computer im writing im on now doesn't have deep burner), the 'burn' button was fazed out, only the erase button was available. So I opened it from the menu, and it had a white space at the side saying 'burn ISO image', so I presumed that it would burn the ISO image. I burnt it and there we go. Also, Deep Burner didn't 'see' the kubuntu file, I had to change the choice bar when searching to 'all files'.

Sorry, I should have used better wording, the CD drive appeared to be starting to spin, but didn't continue to open Kubuntu.

I wouldn't be supprised if the computer has mis calculated the amount of Data on the CD drive. Its says there is no more available space after 300KB, which is just wrong since these CD's are CD-R's that hold 700MB.

Anyway, lets try to boot it from the CD anyways. Im sure that ill work it out eventually. I feel so stupid. Im not computer illiterate, but im not as good as you guys. I can burn another when I get home anyways if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well when the CD finishes burning it writes out the extra space so it can't be filled in. This means that the CD will be out of space after a burn.

And it looks like the boot order on your bios is screwed up. I'll look up how to enter the Bios on your systems later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I found out the problem! For some reason, the file I was burning was only 300KB it self. Okay, ill just download it again and it should be all guns go. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Whoa, I completely missed the 300kb. For some reason my mind was reading it as 300mb. I must need sleep or something. Did the torrent download fail?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.