Tech Support Forum banner

creating a backup

1007 Views 12 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Geekgirl
Hi everyone,
Can someone tell me how do I go by backing up information from my computer as recently I had to reformat my pc and I lost some information that I didn't back up because of lack of knowledge.
Than you in advance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
What did you want saved that you didnt backup?
I always backup everything in My Documents. I also copy over My Favorites, My Pictures, and depending on what email client you have I backup the addy book and pretty much everything else in the email client

Now you can backup your information in many ways. Depending how much info you have you can use a thumb drive, cds or slave the drive to another computer and copy over that way.
What backup facilities do you have? I.e. do you have a second hardrive, CD or DVD burner etc?
I have a DVD burner. Does that help? Sorry about my ignorance when it comes to computers, but if I don't ask, I won't learn. Thanks.
I have a DVD burner. Does that help? Sorry about my ignorance when it comes to computers, but if I don't ask, I won't learn. Thanks.

To make things simple put all your data sub-folders such as My Favourites, My Pictures etc. into My Documents. It's also useful to have your email program save its files in a sub-folder in My Documents. Then, using your DVD burner software create a data DVD. You can then drag My Documents to the DVD using Windows Explorer. If you ever need to restore the files, you simply have to drag My Documents back again. Depending on how much data you are prepared to lose, I suggest you use two DVD+/-RW discs and backup on a regular basis alternating the two discs.

If you have lots of image files or other files that take up a lot of space, you may find you have to copy sub-folders rather than the main folder, in which case you will need more that two discs, but the principle is the same. Just make sure you label your discs carefully or you may get the two sets mixed up. I hope that helps.
See less See more
Okay, so now that I know what I want to backup and to where, how do I proceed to do the backup. Sorry about the ignorance, but I have never backuped before. Thanks.
Okay, so now that I know what I want to backup and to where, how do I proceed to do the backup. Sorry about the ignorance, but I have never backuped before. Thanks.

First, what software came with your burner and do you know how to create a data DVD with it?
I have nero software, if that's what u mean, and I think I do know how to make a data dvd. Thanks.
I have nero software, if that's what u mean, and I think I do know how to make a data dvd. Thanks.

Yes, that's what I meant.
Right, the first thing you need to do is check the size of the files that you need to copy. A useful utility for this is Treesize, available free from http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml . If the total size of your files is less than 4.7GB then fine, otherwise you'll have to split My Documents into <4.7GB chunks. Next, open Windows Explorer. Go to Start/Accessories/Windows Explorer. Navigate to My Computer and open it up. Click on Drive C (or whatever your boot disc is) and in the right hand pane, select My Documents (or a subset if it is bigger than 4.7GB) and drag it to the DVD in the left hand pane. Then sit back or go and make a coffee and wait for it to copy the files across. That's all there is to it. If you need to split My Documents into chunks, then you will need as many DVDs as there are chunks. Don't forget to label them. Any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.
See less See more
Okay I think I got it, thanks to you. But I have one more question, once I reformat my pc, how do I re-install the backed-up stuff? Do I just play the dvd? Sorry, I have no idea what to do here.:1angel:
You pop the dvd into the drive, double click on it and you will see your saved info. I would open each folder and copy the contents and not copy the whole folder as you are placing these inside a folder with the same name.

You will already have a My Documents , My Pictures, My Music ...ect folders after the format, so you need to open the My Document folder on the dvd, select all files, and then open the My Documents folder on the computer and copy into it.

Does this make sense to you? If you are confused I will try to explain alittle clearer :grin:
Great. It is nice and clear. Thankyou very much for your help. :pray:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.