Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember that before I was having some problems. A few minutes after I would start a game it would do one of a few things 1)the screen would go black 2) it would freeze, then go black 3) Freeze, go black, and come back as a mess of colors and lines. After all of these all I could do was a hard shutdown.

My first thought of course was the video card. At one crash the screen actually came back, and gave me an ATI message saying something about how VPU recover had reset my video accelerator as it was not responding to drivers. I updated the drivers and scanned my computer for adware/viruses and found nothing. The problems continued. Today I took out the 9800 and put in an old 9200. It worked for longer than usual, but then still crashed in the same manner.

At this point I doubt it is the card (although i guess it could still be the drivers). The two things I see as most likely now are the motherboard(maybe just the AGP slot) or the fact that I have a 300 watt power supply (it worked fine in the past, but it might be dying). But I dont know much so it could be anything.

This is driving me crazy because I just cant figure it out. I know I need to run more tests and such, but first of all what kind of problem does this sound like to you? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3400+
Radeon 9800 pro/9200 se
Two 512 sticks of RAM
MSI Micro-ATX K8M800 <I think thats right
Antec 300-watt power supply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
wow. you definately need more then 300 watts for a AMD 64 and a Radeon 9800. also how many drives do you have hooked up?

I have a radeon 9700 and actually had the same problem, one easy way to get around it is to get the omega drivers for the Radeon http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Besides preforming better, it comes with a useful utilitie called ATI tray tools. Using Overclocking settings (or similar), under clock your GPU Core and Memory by a good 40 Mhz, less or more depending on how it works for you.

Note- This will decrease your Graphics preformance, but not by too much. Get that new PSU, or listen to the more qualified professionals on the forum :grin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I will probably get a new power supply, but why would this still happen with the 9200 as well? I guess it still is underpowered or that working that power supply so hard for 8 months has worn it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
well your computer is still woefully underpowered with a 300W, even running a 9200SE.

My guess is that your computer is crashing not just because of the tax on your video card when you play a game, but because games tax your processor, memory, video card, and even your hard drive in some cases.

you could try running some CPU/memory/hardrive intensive program thats not a game, and see if it still crashes. Of course your computer may be crashing because your video card isn't getting enough power-because the rest of your computer is sucking it all up.

I guess theres quite a few theorys, but i think your best bet is to go with the new PSU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thanks again!
The reason I didnt get a new power supply sooner is that my friend said he was running the same setup as mine on a 250 watt. Of course it was just today that he told me about the black smoke it would occasionally spew out >_>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.