Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to help an aquaintance with issues, his pc, has problems, windows explorer crashes whenever he right clicks copy's pastes or tries to delete a file, I'm trying to get the rest of his specs as I type this, any suggestions?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi...

sounds like a context menu confliction. You can use a freeware tool called ShellExView which I have attached for you.

Run the application and then click the 3rd tab along from the left 'Type' so that all the items are listed as type. Scroll down to Context Menu. You will then need to diasable one at a time bu right clicking the item and selecting disable until you find the culprit that is causing the crash...

The correct way is to disable one, reboot and try the right click function again. If it still crashes, disable the next on the list....repeat the process until it no longer crashes...this may take a little time so patience is required.

Once you have the offending item, you will either be able to permanently disable it or uninstall/reinstall the program it's related to.

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi nick, ty for your prompt reply, I will forward this link to him and get more help and info, I will also let you know how this comes out, also, if there are any other suggestions, I'd be grateful
Thanks, Pint

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Only other suggestions would be to find out if they have installed any new software recently or applied any new Windows Updates.

The problem with this kinda complaint is that it could be getting caused by many different software conflictions so it's hard to find a definate answer. If there are .AVI files in the folders he is right clicking, it could be down to the way Windows tries to preview the media. If that is the case, advise them to:

Click Start -> then Run -> type:
regsvr32 u/shmedia.dll
Click OK

That will unregister the dll that Windows uses as a handler and should solve the problem...but only if .AVI files are involved :)

It's a very tricky problem to fix otherwise but ShellExView is an ideal tool to weed out the cause.

Also, Start -> Run -> type:
sfc /scannow
Click OK

They will need their Windows Installation disc for that one though as if the scan finds any corrupt system files, it will replace them from the install disc.

Hope that helps, keep us posted :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again nick, I've forwarded the link to this thread to him as it's easier for him to read it himself than to be a go between, I will definately keep you posted as much as I can

Pint

ps I have I mentioned how helpful this site has been? lol my raid wouldn't be up and running without you guys

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: Just prior to the bsod the pc comes up with this message "MS Data Execution Prevention has stopped this file from opening"
last thing that was tried was using system restore, I haven't heard the results of that or the earlier tests

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.