Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crashes into a brown striped screen, sound's stuck & graphics card fans spinning fast

Hi, I was messing around when playing Skyrim with some .ini tweaks to make the game look better, since I thought my computer could handle it. My rig consists of:

Gigabyte 7970 slightly OC
i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz (stock speeds)
8GB RAM
550W PSU 80+ PLATINUM

So looks like I went to far with the graphical tweaks. When loading the game the screen quickly turned brown, and sound got stuck really loud, and then a fan, I can't tell if it is the graphics card fans or the one from my PSU, starts spinning in different speeds, from what I hear about 40% - 100%. It totally freaked me out so I pressed the turn off button on my computer for 5 secs for emergency exit! I suspect that my CPU caused the error, or possibly the PSU.

After this my computer seemed to work fine though, UNTIL I played a very old game (not GPU intensive at all), and the same brown screen came. This time I waited around to see if something happens. After perhaps 1 minute of waiting I heard the Win7 OS "log in" sound. Weird. My screen was still brown so I pressed emergency exit again.

Since this my computer has gone nuts. When I rebooted, the graphics drivers were messed up, and screen resolution was as if there was no drivers installed. I tried installing the latest driver again, but it said there already is one installed. So I uninstalled and installed the drivers again, and still no fix.
Now none of my games run, however I got the screen resolution to normal in the Control Panel.. This means the system still detects the graphics card? Somehow the drivers just don't work. I'm pretty much able to do anything, watch youtube vids on 1080p no problem, except anything that needs the graphic drivers (especially games).

Upon startup I always get a message saying that "atiadlxy.dll is not meant to work with Windows" or something along those lines. Let me know if you want me to post the whole error line.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Crashes into a brown striped screen, sound's stuck & graphics card fans spinning

Actually, when I let Steam auto-detect and install graphics drivers, the problems have stopped. Weird that CCC's in-built system failed on me.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Re: Crashes into a brown striped screen, sound's stuck & graphics card fans spinning

You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Also I would not Over Clock your graphics card that card not over clocked should be fine for that game you play. Plus you could damage the card from over heating, also Over clocking would require more watts from your PSU. Not Over clocked requires a minimum of a 500 watt PSU that means minimum it is always best to go above that by a 100watts or more.
Over clocked GPU or not I would recommend a minimum 650PSU 80+ rating or more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.