Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Windows XP and I have this crackling sound coming from my speakers. I'm not playing music, it just starts crackling. I went out and bought new speakers and still have the same problem. Its very annoying. Any suggetions? Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
You left off an important detail - What sound card do you have?
We've had troubles lately on the forums with people sticking graham crackers in their PCI slots, so hopefully it's not a graham cracker in there.

My guess is that you have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster of some sort, and you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard. Perhaps the southbridge is a 686B. My telepathy and psychic abilities aren't very good, though. Would you please check your soundcard and tell us what brand and model it is, and also look at the black chips on your motherboard and tell us the names and numbers on them?

Here are my generic steps to take:
Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the necessary patches and updates.
Download and install the newest drivers for your sound card from the manufacturer's website.
Download and install the newest drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer's website.
Set the master volume at 25%.

I think you're picking up bus noise. It has nothing to do with the speakers. It's your sound card. Are you able to turn on Spread Spectrum in your BIOS to minimize interference?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply however, I have very little knowledge on the works of computers. I Have and HP desktop Model #7975. I tried to find the answer to your question but here is what I found My sound device is: Intel (r) 82801/BA/BAM AC '97
Audio Controller.
Your suggestions on the Spread Spectrum in my BIOS sounds like a good idea if I knew what that was.
As I sit here type this miserable noise is coming from my speaker. It actually sounds like a loose wire being giggled around creating and scratchy noise.
I will try to do the updates you suggested.
Thanks so much.
Any more suggestion will be appreciated.
Judy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.