Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to uninstall win98se an upgrade to win xp win 98 is not listed in add/remove program list.Win 98 is OEM software

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
In the future, it would be helpful to yourself if you created a more descriptive topic.

I don't know why you think Windows 98 would be found in Add/Remove programs. That's only for uninstalling programs that you install on Windows 98.

If you have your XP CD, boot from the Windows CD, delete the Windows 98 partition, format the partition as NTFS, and then install Windows XP on it.

You can also follow the directions here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot Res,my first time here.I got the idea about add/remove programs from support.microsoft.com under uninstall win 98 I thought this was odd myself.I must say that I'm not as computer savy as you kats! I clicked on your more info button for directions and received a blank screen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cql said:
thanks alot Res,my first time here.I got the idea about add/remove programs from support.microsoft.com under uninstall win 98 I thought this was odd myself.I must say that I'm not as computer savy as you kats! I clicked on your more info button for directions and received a blank screen

·
retired
1,966 Posts
that only applies if w98 was an upgrade to a previous version and was told to do a backup when it was installed.

regardless, xp isn't an upgrade so it will do a clean install and the w98 content will be gone.

so if you need any personal files from w98 then put them on CD or floppy before you start the xp install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.