Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently built my own computer. when i began to install xp pro i noticed that it was taking quite a long time, about 2 hours more than it should have. after installation of the os and all the drivers the system is running extreemly slow. i brought up the task manager and noticed that with no programs running and nothing open the cpu usage is at 10%. if i just move the mouse around it goes up to 25%-30% and if i open a window it shoots up to 100% and there is about a 30 second delay while i wait for the window to open where it appears that the computer is frozen. i know xp eats up a ton of system resources but with my proccesor and memory i shouldn't be having this problem. :confused: any suggestions? :confused:

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Check in your bios if your system cache is disabled, and that your hard drives are in the correct mode for you harddrive type, and physically that you are using the correct ide/sata cable for your hard drive. If you only have one hard drive on ide, then make sure that your cdroms/zip/dvd drives are on the secondary ide controller if possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only have a HDD and CD-ROM, the cables are the right ones for both. about bios should the cache be enabled? and the hard drive mode, how do i determine which mode it should be in?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Enable the cache, Do a hard drive auto detect, and if it doesn't already. Set all to Auto (most are this way anyway) Also check your agp settings make sure you have auto or are at the right multiplier for your agp card.

These are all suggestions, I hope they help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the hard drive was already set correctly. for the system cache the setting that i saw was cpu L1 and L2 cache that was enabled. is that the only one? the agp setting are correct as well...

also i have checked the hdd for errors and it all comes up clean. i've deleted the partitin that windows is on and have reinstalled xp 3 times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.