Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my cpu usage has been higher than normal for that past couple days. i thought maybe it was malware related, but it turns out that everything is clean. reid from 'hijack this log help' said i should post here to help solve the problem. the usage is normally 0%-1% when the computer is idle, but the past couple days its been jumping from 5%-15% at all times. its causing the cpu to heat up about 10C higher than normal as well. im not sure what could be causing this. any idea?

when i check the task manager, the only application that seems to be running more than normal is "services.exe" i just googled it and read that its sometimes a trojan or virus. i would have thought they'd found this in the hijack log though. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
My computer did the same thing when I installed IE7. CPU usage was anywhere from 7-15% while system idle process bounced back and forth between 97 and 99%. That math doesn't work.

Uninstalled IE7 and it was back to normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont understand, i uninstalled all the recent programs i downloaded and its still higher than what it normally is. anyone have an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
check your processes in task manager, check what's loading in msconfig, and also start>run>services.msc. It's possible that you still have a process or progarm running even though the main program has been uninstalled. Norton utilities/system works has been known to do that. Others may do it as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check your processes in task manager, check what's loading in msconfig, and also start>run>services.msc. It's possible that you still have a process or progarm running even though the main program has been uninstalled. Norton utilities/system works has been known to do that. Others may do it as well.
how and what would i know to delete? or do i delete anything?

also i've found that my computer will freeze if i leave it over night sometimes. it did it this morning. i dont know what would be causing these problems if there's no malware or virus' on my computer. could it be a driver error? should i try and reinstall windows?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.