Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need CPU support, but I do need an opinion.

Does anyone think it's worth it to upgrade from an Athlon 3200+ 64 2.0 GHz to an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4 GHz for the price of, say, $200?

I'm not sure that going dual-core and increasing the speed by 400 MHz will do anything for gaming, because that's what I'm hoping to improve. I'm also planning to couple this upgrade with a GeForce 6800 GT to replace my Radeon 9600 PRO, keeping my good ol' socket 939 system alive without buying a new board.

Opinions are welcome.... I'm thinking this will cost me around $350-$360 if I decide to go for it.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
yes you would be pleasantly surprised by the 4600+ X2 for another $50.00 you could get the 4800+

I would opt for that in a heart beat, that should hold you fine for atleast another year.

I kinda question your move to the 6800 though, its better than the 9600 pro but not by leaps and bounds I would try to shoot for the 7600GS

those two improvements would give you some umph!

by the way, the dual core can act as a single core too, so you cant really compare a single core 3200 and say that there is only a 400mhz increase. The AMD optimizer package makes the dual cores run together for a nice improvement over the 3200

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I know that I can't look at a CPU's operating frequency and judge it by that, especially considering the fact that it IS dual-core.

I based my 6800 GT decision on my friend. He has one and it seems to work well enough for my purposes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Errr. Interesting results so far. I don't have the processor yet, but I bought a 600W power supply and a 512 MB 7600 GS.

....The GS has disappointed me so far. Its benchmarks were noticeably WORSE than the 9600 PRO when I ran some tests. Second, the color is grainy and much worse than the 9600 Pro's configuration, even when I use the built-in image sharpener and AA settings. To top it all off, some of the driver software doesn't work at ALL, and when I try to run it, the winlogon process goes berserk and eats up all my CPU usage.

[Sarcasm]That was DEFINITELY worth the money.[/Sarcasm]

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
something is seriously wrong there

when a friend of mine upgraded from a 6800 to the 7600GS he could "see" things in the game (starwars) that he didnt know what they were before

like the waves on the lakes when they fly over water ????

I will poke around to look for answers ?

why not return the card; if you dont like it ?

did you unistall the old video card drivers before you installed the new card ????

and you connected the extra power plug the video card needs ????

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Really linderman? I didn't actually realise that the 7600GS is that much better than a 6800GT - by the sounds of it i need to upgrade! I have one of those myself and it's absolutely flawless on high detail games such as World of Warcraft. I'm in the same boat, i have a socket 939 motherboard (that is now broken), although i actually cannot find another 939 with agp and 4 x1gb SDRAM, supports HT technology. I'm really in need of finding a socket 939 motherboard that supports AGP and HT - if anyone can give me links to any, i'd appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a PNY Verto. I was surprised that it's 128-bit, for one thing. However, I did forget to uninstall my ATI drivers before installing this card. They are now uninstalled though, but I had problems when trying to actually uninstall them.

Yes, I plugged in the extra power cable. I forgot to do that before and the system wouldn't boot.

·
Registered
399 Posts
i dont know how the idea that a 6800gt is slower than a 7600gs came about, but rest assured that its not true... think about it, a 16 pipe 256bit card against a 12 pipe 128 bit card? same sm3 capailities, same dx9.0c support. the 6800gt isnt much faster, but its still a good 30% faster when quality is turned up. one game its slower. http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=531&model2=545&chart=196

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm dead serious when I say the card received noticeably worse benchmarks than my 9600 PRO during 3D tests. My friend has the 6800 GT, and I'd take it any day over this card. Time to return, methinks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and my PSU is an Ultra V-Series 600W ATX.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Dae:

you could do a win xp reapir install, that will remove all drivers from your windows system but wont touch your data or programs
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

you will need to reinstall all drivers not loaded by windows, windows updates

but that will clear out "stuck" video drivers

also you could use: this solution

there is an ATI driver removal tool your could google for that

@ Floyd:

I cant say alot about the why's but I saw with my own eyes the clarity of the inside of the Stars Wars Galaxy game with the upgrade 7600GS after removing the 6800 (not sure which 6800)

but there was alot of detail that we didnt even know was there before, like the after burner exaust coming out of the scooters!

and the lakes looked like we were flying over desert sand, after the new card was installed, the desert sand was water waves!

seeing is believing.

EDIT >>>>>>> my bad fellas, just got off the phone with my nephew; the newer card is a 7600 GT :upset:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mystery solved. I'll try the things you recommended, but there is a noticeable difference between the GS and the GT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.