104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just put together my new comp.

Asus P5Ld2
Pentium prescott LGA775 3 ghz
Samsung 160 gig sata
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu

I have a couple of questions and i hope i can ask them all here. First is instead of buying a new HDD, I took my old one that already has windows on it. It is a SATA. What should i do? Should i reformat everything? how should i go about this? it seems my MOBO didnt come with a SATA RAID Floppy disk thingy

Second is when i started up my comp for the first time with my old SATA HDD in it, it said that there was an error with my CPU fan. Than it tells me to press F1. When i press this, it brings me into my BIOS. What should i do?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If the OS on the SATA drive is XP then you might be able to boot but likely not. If you have another PC you can download the SATA drivers from the 'Net.

When you see the Fan error are any fans stopped? If not then you can go into the BIOS and check for a fan stop error settings. Be careful, turning it OFF can be bad if the fan does fail in the future. My motherboard was acting stupid and kept killing the fan itself, thus causing the alarm to trip and wake me at night. Now I use the temp control panel on my case to regulate the CPU fan. It also whines if the fan fails, but it at least keeps it spinning when it should be.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So how do i get the SATA drive? also, My Cpu fan is spinning and it is controlled my this little remote thing. When i go into the bios and change the boot sequence to cd-rom, it does not boot from the cd. Could this be because i plugged it into the wrong IDE plug? the is 3 IDE plugs, one blue and two red.

I have another question = P
My case comes with the thermometer thing. should i put it between the Cpu and fan? because i put it there and my case does not show the temperature or anything

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i went into the bios and shut off the alarm for the low cpu fan speed and it went through perfectly. I have another question though = P

Im not sure if i can ask them here though:

I had an MSI motherboard before. It came with an SATA floppy so i could reformat. My new ASUS however does not come with a SATA floppy. Is it located in the Cd? or does this motherboard not need a cd and can recognize it by itself.

Also, There are many ide plugs on my motherboard. I plugged my CD-ROM drive into the red one on the left. I went into the bios and changed the boot sequence to CD-ROM first and HDD second. for some reason it doesnt boot from the CD. Did i plug it into the wrong ide plug?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.