Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer is a P4 3.0 Ghz with 2 chassis fans(exhaust. The CPU temperaute is usually 50+ celcius when idle but could reach 60+ when using intensive applications such as games. I changed the default fan/heatsink with a globalwin copper one but it stays mainly the same.
Is this temperature normal or are there ways 2 solve the problem?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums @[email protected]:D

You should try having one fan blowing in down at the bottom front of the machine.

And the other blowing out just below the power supply.

Those temps are a little on the high side for a P4. Are you sure the heatsink is making good contact with the CPU?

I usually put a piece of long cellophane across the top of the CPU and the tighten the levers and try to slide the cellophane out. If it doesn't budge I know I am making good contact. Of course you need to remove the cellophane after this test...........:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
agree with speedo on the exhaust fan...otherwise, you are just blowing hot air around in the case. The higher fan is the exhaust fan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
haha

speedo, that sounds something like a plasti-guage test, lol

i do like the idea though, as i have had that problem on a few machines i was fixing...

stupid heat sink not contacting the CPU :(
~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
oh, and P.S.

my friend has a nice new machine that runs at 60 at idle, and gets to 75 when playing intense games.

And he isnt worried about it, even though the heat is what killed his last machine.

oh well, some people will never learn.

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
speedo, that sounds something like a plasti-guage test, lol
Yeah you get these little handy ways of testing for things right after the *** scenario. And learn on how to avoid them in the future. This method has caught a few not quite setting right processors before........... :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Aye, those are high.

I am running a P4 3.2GHz, and my CPU temp runs a steady 41C when idle. I have two fans in front blowing in, and two fans in back near the CPU blowing out, not to mention the power supply fans sucking air out of the case. I don't think my CPU has passed 60C once with this setup.

Air flow be the key!

Dave

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Those temps seem excessive. My P4-2.4-533 runs in the high 30's, and when I use 100% processor time, it climbs to the high 40's. This is with the stock Intel HS/fan, and two case exhaust fans.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

what is the temperature of the air in the room when you have the heat problems?

i know that when i moved out of the basement i was living in, and into an upstairs of a townhouse, my cpu temp shot up 10 degrees celcius. all because the air in the room isnt cold here.

but thats a little hot for a good fan setup like that. i think something is awry.

with no fans except the cpu and p/s fan ive seen colder temps in faster machines.

check to see if there is enough/not too much heat sink grease.

and everything else everyone else said.

~BoB~

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put the bios on default

S

·
0 Posts
Have you checked to make sure your heatsink fan is in contact with the CPU Yet?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
"set the bios to default"

id like to hear it too, cos i dont think any of those settings would cause overheating.

and 27 celcius isnt too bad i guess, but it does sound like something is wrong.

as far as a hole for a fan, if your machine didnt come with fan holes, then you will need to change your side panel, if you can find a match, or have a machine shop carve a 2.9 inch hole for a 3 inch side fan, or a 3.9 inch for a 4 inch fan.

as far as up near the power supply, that takes seeing the machine to tell you what to do there, but prolly also have a hole cut, but youd have to remove the entire machine from the case before you should send it to a machine shop.

~BoB~

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same problem with me, P4 3.3GHz (3Ghz)

Heres my case

ThermalTake Xaser III
7 fans on the case
1 fan on PSU
1 fan on CPU
1 fan on GPU
4 fans on 4 HDD
total 14 fans

CPU temp 55 Degrees (does get into the 60s)
Room temp approx 20 Degrees
MB temp 23 Degrees

when i put my hand in the computer its cool

but...
GPU is red hot (Asus V9900 Geforce FX5880)
2 of the PATA 200GB Maxtor HDD are hot (but cooler then before when it didnt have a fan)

2 SATA 36.6GB Wester Digital HDD are ok

finally on the PATA there is a 4 pin power connector, a small data cable, and there is another one that looks like the data dable but bigger (what is it for?)

S

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately I think he can cut holes in his case until it looks like swiss cheese and it won't solve the problem.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

now that i read it better, i notice that he has two fans blowing out.

god i cant pay attention at all.

if the fans arent doing the job, then check for a dust blanket..

~BoB~

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.