Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cpu spents most of it's time at 100% and terribly slows down my computer to snail speed...how do I improve the performance?

My computer information:

Dual processor
Pentium4 519 (P) 3.07 GHz:
533 MHz Front side bus
Socket LGA775
250 watt PSU

Chipset:
Intel 915GV

Motherboard:
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: PTGD-LA
HP motherboard name: Goldfish3-GL8E

Memory Installed: 3 GB

Hard drive:
200 GB SATA
7200 rpm

Video Graphics:
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

Sound/audio:
Integrated High Definition audio
Realtek ALC 880 chipset
8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
You are underpowered which will slow your computer way down. Calculate your needs in my sig. and read the tutorial by the hardware team.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What do you mean it spens most of its time at 100%? Do you mean when you are doing nothing that the CPU is at 100% usage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well... what i mean is that when I'm using my computer...whether its browsing the web or looking at pictures or editing movies...my computer's cpu jumps to 100% atleast every 5-10 mins. Will getting a new power-supply help?

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I read that you only had a 250 watt power supply, I could not believe it. In a Pentium 4???

It would be my guess that if you don't upgrade your power supply ASAP...you soon may find yourself with more serious problems to contend with.

Whatever is causing your CPU to run at 100% can be addressed later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hehe yeah a new PSU is definetly a must. But what is causing your cpu spike? Most likely a virus. Make sure you do a full scan on your system with a updated Anti-Virus. If it finds nothing try a scan in safe-mode.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Thats good Neo you really needed a better psu, if the problem continues take Matt's advice in post #7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.