Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiyas.

I just recently, (yesterday), got the P4C800-E Deluxe. I had a P4PE before and hurricane Isabel knocked it out :p

Problem is, my cpu scores on 3dmark dropped drastically and Sandra says I'm on par with a p3 1.8ghz system. I've been trying different settings in the bios but to no avail. I broke a clip on the heatsink so I don't want to overclock it until I get a new one. All BIOS settings for the cpu are at auto and if I try to put the cpu on turbo I get the checksum error. CPU temp is running at around 65-70C says 3rd party monitors, bios monitor says 75-85C which I can't believe. Would this slow me down? I wouldn't think it would matter unless something on the board intentionally slows the cpu to cool it.
Edit: Using AsusProbe the temp goes over 80C and starts beeping when I use like, flight Simulator which is notoriusly cpu intensive.

My specs:

P4 2.8 ghz northwood
1024mb of pc2700 ddr-sdram
Audigy2
fx5900
WinXP
All bios/chipset stuff is latest.

Not sure what other info you might need, please let me know. It's getting maddening that everything I get new on this system translates into lower performance. Grrrr

Thanks much in advance.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
P4 2.8 ghz northwood
1024mb of pc2700 ddr-sdram
Well I notice that your memory is only PC2700, so that's one thing that might reduce your numbers. Maybe get some PC3200 if you're concerned about hitting certain test figures. (The mobo doesn't say it supports PC3500, but I think some similar mobos use it... could be an expensive experiment though, if it doesn't work.)

I wouldn't think it would matter unless something on the board intentionally slows the cpu to cool it.
Yes, there is something that intentionally slows the CPU if it starts to get way too hot, and it stays that way until things cool down-- a lot better than shutting it off completely IMO. I had read about this somewhere before, maybe in a review. I checked the Intel Pentium 4 datasheet today, and pulled this out of section 6.3:

"The Thermal Monitor feature helps control the processor temperature by activating the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) when the processor silicon reaches its maximum operating temperature. The TCC reduces processor power consumption by modulating (starting and stopping) the internal processor core clocks. The Thermal Monitor feature must be enabled for the processor to be operating within specifications. The temperature at which Thermal Monitor activates the thermal control circuit is not user configurable and is not software visible... When the Thermal Monitor feature is enabled, and a high temperature situation exists (i.e., TCC is active), the clocks will be modulated by alternately turning the clocks off and on at a duty cycle specific to the processor (typically 30–50%). ...An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss..."-Intel

...etc. etc. etc. anyway you get the picture: when you're hot, you get slowed down. Sort of like a thermostat for your CPU. We only get to control the duty cycle in the BIOS setup, and that's about all. In the BIOS setup Power screen, under APM Configuration, check out the "Throttle Slow Clock Ratio" setting.

So first I recommend a better heatsink (I know you said yours is damaged). How about a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu?

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps tons, hehe. My bro quick-fixed my heatsink today and put new silicone etc, now it runs like a champ. Alot faster. Thanks alot for the research!

About the RAM, when I bought the parts for this setup I was rapidly exceeding my budget so I skimped. Regretting it now, but back then (6 mo's?) 512 of the pc2700 was going for $200 american and that seemed alot at the time. Going to get better when I get my new hyperthreading cpu an stuff.

Thanks again Clintfan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.