Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer has been shutting down itself due to overheating. I used to play SC2 and Crysis 2 with this system, now it even shut down with youtube and some documents opened. Please help.
CPU: Phenom ii x4 840
GPU: EVGA Superclocked DS GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1 Gb 256-bit
PSU: Corsair 750 HX
RAM: 4x4Gb G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Liquid cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H50 (2.5 years old)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD EVO
I have applied Antec formula 5 silver thermal compound recently but doesn't seem to help much. Thanks for your advices in advance.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
How have you determined that heat is the problem?
What CPU temps are shown in the Bios?
Is the radiator fan working/free of dust buildup and are you certain the liquid cooling is circulating?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when my computer shuts down itself, the BIOS page says CPU overheat, I will check on temp. I checked all the fans and they are working and dust are not bad (I use air duster), not sure about the liquid cooling circulation though.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,325 Posts
not sure about the liquid cooling circulation though. that would be worth checking as a likely culprit

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to clean the case and use canned air it's useful for the overheating and try to do a virus scan and update your OS from security holes and don't open too much programs , close the PC for maybe 2 hours , then test the temps after that because it maybe the graphical card not the cpu

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Try to clean the case and use canned air it's useful for the overheating and try to do a virus scan and update your OS from security holes and don't open too much programs , close the PC for maybe 2 hours , then test the temps after that because it maybe the graphical card not the cpu
Well when my computer shuts down itself, the BIOS page says CPU overheat

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is that at idle or after doing some CPU heavy apps/games. If at idle, the temps are too high. If after heavy use, the temps are OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I bought the system through iBuypower, it's OEM liquid cooling, no heat sink or CPU fan comes with it, I figured it could be a heat issue and I don't mind buying components to repair it, just don't want to buy unnecessary parts you know. Hmmm, I have never put in a new heat sink or CPU fan before, and around the CPU, there is only the liquid cooling mount. Any recommendation on heat sink and CPU fan?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I suspected an online build when I saw liquid cooling and 16GB of RAM, both of which are an unnecessary expense that adds nothing to the PC.
You've already replaced the thermal paste so, if it was done properly, that shouldn't be any problem so you need to insure the coolant is flowing/circulating.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,325 Posts
The cooling systems is closed a no maintenance system so little can be done with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.