Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a newly built computer with the following components:

AMD 8x 3.1 Zambezi
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
8gb DDR3
Radeon HD6850

I am running windows 7 x64.

I am not over-clocking and using default BIOS settings with the most updated BIOS.

My problem is that while my PC runs normally within entirely acceptable parameters (between 15 and 26 C), when I play a game such as Assassin's Creed II, my temps shoot right up to about 55C and then gradually increase at about one degree per ten seconds, until they get into the upper seventies. Eventually they trigger the auto-shutoff.

I have tried using the stock cooler, then an Ultra Chilltec - similar results (in fact, the temps are higher and get there quicker with the Chilltec). I have switched these out numerous times as I have tried different thermal compound thicknesses and spreading techniques, but the basic problem remains.

For the first two weeks of the build, things generally worked (and I was overclocking), but I was getting BSODs within an hour of playing Assassin's Creed. I then kept pulling back the overclocking until I was left with the defaults. The BSODs simply turned into auto-shutoffs and they came quicker and quicker into the game, until things arrived where they are now.

I am completely perplexed. Does anyone have any ideas?

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Where are you seeing the temps? 15 to 26C is well below the average CPU temp.
Are you certain the thermal paste is properly applied and the heatsink is properly attached to the mobo?
Brand & Model of the PSU?
Is the 8GB of RAM 2x4 or 4x2GB?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding.

The temps are in hardware monitor. I have attached a screencap with the recent readings...

I am 95% sure that the thermal compound is correctly applied. To test, I have tried several methods, including the credit card method, the grain of rice method and the pea-sized method. No matter what, the result is the same.

The PSU is an AZZA Dynamo 850W.

The ram is 2x4 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (1600).

Once again, thanks for responding. Any ideas?

Attachments

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Your PSU might be suspect. It's a poor quality unit made by Super Flower and is not 80+ certified.
Check your temps & voltages in the Bios to see how they compare with HW Monitor.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that was interesting...

In the BIOS, the Vcore was: 1.36 (as opposed to the .85 on an idle windows 7 in the screencap above).
Also, the CPU temp initially registered at 58C but gradually, about 1 degree per 30 seconds, rose up to 70C (before I chose to exit the BIOS). The CPU fan speed slowly increased as well (expected, obviously).

When I returned to windows 7, hardware monitor indeed showed that my CPU cores were just at 70, but then these gradually dropped within about two minutes to roughly what you see in the screencap above (along with the Vcore dropping down to .86).

In fact, even now the Vcore occasionally jumps from .86 to about 1.40. CPU core temperatures rise in conjunction about 10 degrees.

Fascinating. Is there something there?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I mentioned, I have tried several different application methods, but in all instances the amount is never more than a pea-sized portion, and never less than an uncooked grain of rice. The amount has always been enough to cover the CPU with a layer that is as thin as possible.

· Registered
1,669 Posts
If you look at the recorded lows for the psu the 5v is way off as well as the 12v. I suspect a dodgy psu.

According to HWmonitor the rest of the board is getting quite hot as well, is it in a cramped case with little airflow?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The case is not particularly small: Cooler Master Sileo 500. I have made sure to keep extra wires out of the way and the like. I have also attempted to run the thing with the case open and shut and it makes little difference.

For those suggesting the PSU: what would be a better PSU to have for this set-up if I do indeed need to get a different one?

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
650W minimum SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series).

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Your PSU is very poor quality and your problem suggests a power issue so the PSU is the prime candidate and upgrading to a good quality PSU is a win/win deal regardless.

· Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,939 Posts
Good point Tyree makes. Even if this isn't the exact or only solution to this issue, and we think it is, by upgrading the psu to an acceptable one you are both improving the pc and warding off future problems.

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Both PSU's are made by SeaSonic and are both the same top quality.
The XFX also has the 4+4 Pin CPU connector and is £10 less than the Corsair. Your choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.