Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
specs :emachine t2682
celeron processor 2.60gighz

one week after a thunder storm pc will not boot up: power supply comes on. cpu fan trys to spin, but doesn't. the pc onlight flickers on. bios or post is never reached. I took all peripheals and hardware off and is disconnected power cables to all devices. still no boot. swapped pws, still no boot. removed ram. still same results. finally i took processor off and when i plugged in pws the cpu fan started. so with cpu in, fan will not turn, but without cpu fan will turn. is this a bad cpu or motherboard. i have not cleared cmos yet.?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can't run it without a CPU. The MINIMUM to get a computer to power on (unless one of the parts are bad/broken) is: Motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of memory, video card (yours is probably integrated into the motherboard) and PSU

It sounds like the storm might of burned something out

·
Sgt.
676 Posts
If youv'e got a Voltmeter or a Multimeter (and you know how to use one) then test the leads coming off the PSU to see if they're supplying the proper (or any) volts & amps.
Dead PSU = Dead PC :cry:
This is why I ALWAYS install a Surge/Spike surpessor or a UPS between the wall outlet and the PC.
Of course, if your house was struck by lighting while the OC was pluged in, no surpessor or UPS in the world (except maybey at NORAD or NASA) will save your PC. Electro-Magnetic Discharge kills PCs dead.
It's sorta like bug spray for electrical components. :laugh:

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's either going to be the PSU or the Motherboard. It is normally the Motherboard if you have a cheap PSU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.