Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello,

11 years ago I purchased an HPDV7 entertainment PC with a quad core running at 2.2 GHz and eight gig of RAM. The hard drive was an old style mechanical drive of 640 GB in size. I’ve enjoyed my machine and I am still enjoying my machine for the past 11 years. I did over the years keep up on upgrading things. The first thing I upgraded was the ram going from 8GB to 16 GB then I upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10. The last piece of hardware I upgraded was the hard drive where I went from 640 GB mechanical drive to a 1 TB SSD drive and also along the way I added a second internal mechanical hard drive of one terabyte because my model happen to have two days to be able to plug in a second drive inside. I upgraded the original mechanical hard drive because the laptop was getting really slow and I thought it was worth the investment and boy was I right! Instead of taking somewhere around 7 to 10 minutes to start up the machine it now starts up in under a minute and that’s on an 11 year old laptop that has an optical drive as in DVD/CD rewritable! I did also along the way upgrade from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro because I was going to school for the past year to upgrade my technical skills which I have just finished. The schooling I was going to was involving networking and security and I would need to build virtual machines so I opted to go to windows 10 pro and I’m very happy I did. I would say you will say wow when you install the SSD drive because it really does make a huge difference.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I received my new SSD and two 4GB memory sticks today.

Now if I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD, I guess I would need to purchase it. Because on the old HDD, I upgraded from Windows 7.

Can I purchase Windows 10 and download it from the web, onto the brand new, blank SSD ?

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,663 Posts
Are you sure the CPU is removable/replaceable?

What is the complete model number of your ThinkPad?
Not sure why this question would be ignored or I guess maybe overlooked but, for future reference, help can be given much more easily (and quickly) if the person helping can get specs of the machine with the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
so the extra RAM did not seem to give laptop much boost at all. but it may prove good for music mixing.

the new SSD upgrade boosted performance considerably. especially startup. much much faster. I still need to download some apps and run them, to see the boost they will get. like music apps or lite game apps.

Windows 10 downloaded and installed fine. still trying to do some tweeking with it.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,487 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
my new SSD Windows 10 (clean installed) desktop, certainly looks empty.

now I would like to transfer my folders and files to my upgraded SSD laptop. via SATA cable. can I also transfer my old applications?

…….or maybe it’s better to just download some applications, since they may be updated anyway?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,487 Posts
Thanks. How old is it? Since it maxes out at 8GB of RAM (memory) it's getting a little long in the tooth?

Copying your personal files and folders over is doable. Hook up both drives, power up and start copying using Windows' built-in File Explorer (Press [Winkey][E]).

Installed applications will need to be reinstalled using the installer that came with the program.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello,

11 years ago I purchased an HPDV7 entertainment PC with a quad core running at 2.2 GHz and eight gig of RAM. The hard drive was an old style mechanical drive of 640 GB in size. I’ve enjoyed my machine and I am still enjoying my machine for the past 11 years. I did over the years keep up on upgrading things. The first thing I upgraded was the ram going from 8GB to 16 GB then I upgrade from Windows 7 to windows 10. The last piece of hardware I upgraded was the hard drive where I went from 640 GB mechanical drive to a 1 TB SSD drive and also along the way I added a second internal mechanical hard drive of one terabyte because my model happen to have two days to be able to plug in a second drive inside. I upgraded the original mechanical hard drive because the laptop was getting really slow and I thought it was worth the investment and boy was I right! Instead of taking somewhere around 7 to 10 minutes to start up the machine it now starts up in under a minute and that’s on an 11 year old laptop that has an optical drive as in DVD/CD rewritable! I did also along the way upgrade from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro because I was going to school for the past year to upgrade my technical skills which I have just finished. The schooling I was going to was involving networking and security and I would need to build virtual machines so I opted to go to windows 10 pro and I’m very happy I did. I would say you will say wow when you install the SSD drive because it really does make a huge difference.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman
The DV7's had slow hard drives, horrible wifi cards (and what wifi card you used had to be in the bios whitelist) but mine eventually had problems I couldn't get parts for. But if it still runs, SSD's would make a huge difference. ALSO - reinstalling Windows.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts