Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

My AMD Turion II Dual Core CPU is 2.4 GHz.

At the risk of sounding like a tech newbee, which I certainly am, I ask would an upgrade to a new 2.4 GHz processor with quad core (instead of my old dual core) really speed up my laptop?

Lenovo Thinkpad, AMD Turion II processor 2.4GHz, 446GB HDD, 4GB RAM

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
Not only faster, but IMO if you're using a dual core computer, you should not do anything else while Windows or other updates are downloading and installing. Experience has shown that so many update problems are actually caused by a "confused" single (They're still around) or dual core computer. This statement will prove radical by some, but I stick by it.

Reactions: jdsmort

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,554 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
A "core" is actualy a microprocessor... dual core, 2 microprossors on 1 chip. Quad-core + 4 processors on 1 chip. And as others mentioned, there are processors with 8 and more cores all the way to 18 cores. CPU chips are often soldered on laptops making replacing the CPU impossible for anybody without surface-mount soldering skills and tools. The leads can be 1mm wide and 1 mm apart so you can EASILY have solder bridges and such if you try to manually change the CPU. Then there is the issue of whether the new CPU will be compatible with the rest of your laptop's board... and there is a good chance there's not a lot of bandwidth overhead available for you to benefit fully from a CPU with more cores. The best way to speed up a laptop is to SELL IT, and buy a new computer. Laptops are designed around current processing and data bus speeds when the laptop was new. Technology changes so fast, that just replacing the CPU in a laptop may not be practical because nothing else in the laptop isn't going to be fast enough to benefit from having a faster CPU.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A "core" is actualy a microprocessor... dual core, 2 microprossors on 1 chip. Quad-core + 4 processors on 1 chip. And as others mentioned, there are processors with 8 and more cores all the way to 18 cores. CPU chips are often soldered on laptops making replacing the CPU impossible for anybody without surface-mount soldering skills and tools. The leads can be 1mm wide and 1 mm apart so you can EASILY have solder bridges and such if you try to manually change the CPU. Then there is the issue of whether the new CPU will be compatible with the rest of your laptop's board... and there is a good chance there's not a lot of bandwidth overhead available for you to benefit fully from a CPU with more cores. The best way to speed up a laptop is to SELL IT, and buy a new computer. Laptops are designed around current processing and data bus speeds when the laptop was new. Technology changes so fast, that just replacing the CPU in a laptop may not be practical because nothing else in the laptop isn't going to be fast enough to benefit from having a faster CPU.
ha! now ya tell me. lol

I just ordered a pair of 4GB ram sticks, and an SSD (laptop upgrade from HDD)

will my 12 year old Lenovo laptop benefit from this upgrade?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, but... it's only going to get incrementally faster. A new laptop with an 8-core processor (8 processors that can be doing 8 different things at the same time) would be a SUBSTANTIAL performance improvement. But it takes more than JUST the processor being faster... everything in the computer has to be faster. SSD will speed things up. RAM... mmmmm, if you are increasing capacity of RAM, maybe a small improvement if you were not severely RAM-limited in the original configuration. RAM can only respond as quickly as the data busses can move data. So if the RAM you have already is as fast as the data buses, "faster" RAM won't be very noticeable. If you had a small amount of ram (say 4GB or less), 8GB or more might make the computer a LITTLE faster.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well... that depends. Your OS was already running with 4GB and some of that... I'd guess, 2.5 - 2.8 GB or so is free for applications. More RAM MIGHT speed things a bit if the apps you use will "spread out" into more RAM space so more of the program and data cache can be active in memory together. So if the app supports better performance when more RAM is available, it might be noticeable but I wouldn't expect a huge difference. If you were at 5/10 with the performance of your laptop with 4GB, doubling the RAM on a computer in that age range might cause you to improve your impression of speed to 6/10--BUT only with some apps that can benefit from having more RAM to operate in.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
Thanks. Each user is different so you might benefit more or less, but at least you won't regress.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts