Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a DA061/087L Motherboard with an AMD processor i think. well i bought a new power supply for it and everything works fine. it boots up onto windows vista but the fan is not running. So i went ahead and check in bios it shows fan speed at 0RPM. I also enabled/Disabled Smart Fan it did not work to no prevail. i mean im just stumped.

Could anyone shine some type of light onto me with this problem? Its an 4 pin connector for Fan&Heat Sink. i Tried a 3 pin fan that i know works onto the board and it still didnt run. im out of answers

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If two different CPU fans do not work I would have to say the Mobo power connection at fault. You can use an adapter for the CPU fan to make it compatible with a 4-Pin Molex connector but the CPU fan will operate at full RPM's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know what you mean with that situation. Only 1 problem is the power supply doesnt have any 4 pin molexes. its a ps-5221-06 power supply. it haves 2 sata connections, cpu connection, and a motherboard connection. would it be a bad idea to switch the voltage on the back of the power supply??...its set at 115V but the other voltage is 230V. i heard sometimes if you switch the voltage and can blow the power supply. I was thinking maybe enough power isnt getting to it

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
would it be a bad idea to switch the voltage on the back of the power supply??
DO NOT change the voltage setting. The power supply will immediately fail when it is turned on, and quite possibly damage other components as well.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
That Lite-On PSU is pretty much a piece of trash and 220W is not sufficient power.
Did you replace the PSU because the previous one failed? If this is an E-Machine? They are infamous for PSU failure and commonly damage other hardware when they fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah Tyree it is that type of power supply. as far as the fan i figured it was the fan header on the motherboard. so my next question is could i find a motherboard that can fit in that slimline e-machine case? i need help bad

·
retired
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it does have the same fan ontop of that heat sink. but i think the cpu is a AMD 64 Sempron though not sure. Wouldnt it be dangerous not to have the cpu fan running on it though???...i check bios and see the cpu temp goes up but i never really wanted to test to see how far the temperature goes up just in case if the system overheats and fails.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Is there another fan header (even a 3-pin) on the motherboard you can use?

·
retired
1,966 Posts
can stick a couple of paper clips into the topside of the 20-pin power connector (a yellow and a black wire) stick the fan connector on the paper clips and boot up. then see if the temp changes.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
erm . . That might work, but it just sounds too mickey mouse to me. And way too high a risk of causing other damage when the clips move. Murphy's Law says one will drop in the exact place where it can do the most damage.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
true, just because i like to live on the edge doesn't mean anybody else does.

it was just for a try though, not permanent...for that u would need half a roll of duct tape as well. :grin:

if your shy use a 9volt battery instead...and half a roll of duct tape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
lol yeah i see what u mean. But gcavan thats the only fan header thats on the motherboard. i looked around and there's not another 1 on there.i guess i mite just have to get a new board by the way it looks. My mind kinda boggled on what that guy said, maybe i dont need the cpu fan running if my heat sink is big enuff?.. Is that true. Sorry about the questions.im just learning some things that i didnt know.Hey stu this is my computer specifications right here. its not a 3250e but a 2650e

eMachines Official Site - - EL1200-07w Product Details

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You NEED the CPU fan to run regardless of the heatsink size!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
the athlon 64 2650e is all of 15watts TDP. a passive cooler is common for these type of CPU.

a socket 940 passive cooler Dynatron T51G 1U Copper Heatsink Cooler RoHS for AMD Socket 940: T51G

but that fan in your box is actually doing double duty. its a CPU fan and a case cooling fan. thats because the dissipated heat from a CPU, drives, mobo, etc, will raise the ambient temperature in an enclosed space.

assuming that fan only switches on when a predefined temperature is exceeded it won't likely happen while the lid is off the box.

i guess i mite just have to get a new board by the way it looks.
options:
1./ might be nothing wrong with it at all.
2./ can use one of these to cool the case inside if you don't trust that fan to kick in on some hot summer day.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Mobilefan II 80mm External USB Case Fan
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Mobile Fan 12 AF0007 Case Fan. USB Powered, 12CM Adjustable Speed Fan With Retractable USB Cable

3./ get a usb extension cable from a dollar store cut the end off and stick its black and red wires into the fan connector...and use some tape to secure it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i understand stu. but why when i stick that fan onto another motherboard it starts right up. And when i put it back on the original board it doesnt. thats why i said i think its a problem with the fan header. Tyree stating that the cpu needs to be turned on and spinning. im just all confused. i am A computer Technician but man...

·
retired
1,966 Posts
haven't come across this particular system before, but have seen systems that don't turn on the fans until a preset temperature is passed, so its a possiblity this is whats happening.

then again, since its a nForce chipset with lots of thermal management features the fan should be spinning at 60% of full speed while the CPU temperature is below the preset (given its enabled in the bios setup) else should be spinning at full speed...assuming gateway even provided these settings and didn't code something like said above.

and then nForce also has settings for shut down if CPU exceeds a preset temperature, and then there is the thermal throttling feature...

anyway, unless someone with the same board says fan is on/off when started its an unknown.

so here is your opportunity to decide if you want to be just another swap jockey or a tech that learns to troubleshoot to the component level and resolve the problem, its up to you.

troubleshoot to the component level...
plug the fan in its power header, touch your finger to the heatsink (my bet is it doesn't go up more than a couple degrees above room temperature) and power up the system. display the bios PC Health Status page on the monitor and then wave a hair dryer (low setting) slowly above the mobo, at least a foot above it. keep an eye on the temperatures and cpu speed. if it gets up to 45~50°C and the fan hasn't started then the header is definetly bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well stu i ran the cpu temperature to 56C and the fan didnt kick on at all. Still Smart Fan is Enabled? so yeah the header is bad. My next question would be is what would be a good choice in a motherboard that would fit this small factor form case???

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Instead of swapping out the motherboard, why not come direct from the power supply (use a pass-through on a harddrive power cable if necessary)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.