Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My CPU never normally gets this hot in the summer but I have been playing 2moons and i come off and i have 94c.

Im idleing at 61-64c

I have took the side casing off and blowing air inside but it does not seem to help much.

The air is very humid in England at the minute.

What shall i do first?

New thermal paste or a new fan?

I have the stock AMD Fan for AMD 5000+ 2.6GHz

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Yep, sure is idle and that is a way to tell what the base line is. After that, then download and run SensorviewPro to check the temps at idle, then as you begin to put the rig under stress. The BIOS is generally more accurate than most aftermarket programs. Your choice, but that is what I would do since you asked.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, If it is still high what shall i do then? Last year when it got high i took off the cpu fan because i was curious then just put it straight back on without new thermal paste. But the temperature was still the same after so it couldnt be that... Or could it? Its stock CPU Fan, Also the case has dust protectors at the front.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on Sensors View it says 28C, but i have never got 28C even on idle and thats using the BIOS temp.

CPU: 23C
SYS: 45C

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Please, what does the bios say at idle? Then, what does Sensorview say when you put the computer under-stress like playing a game? Also, does it shut down when you think it is too hot?

We do need to compare the bios startup temp to the Sensorview startup temps to get a base line.

One should never attempt to run a CPU without thermal paste, or you could burn the darn thing up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BIOS TEMPS:

CPU: 50-55C - Sensor View : 24C / SYS : 47C-55C
MB : 42C-45C

Game Stress:

Call of Duty 4 - 4x AA and Default AS. Extra Graphics 1280x1024

SYS: 55-74C
CPU: 28-47C

My PC has never shut down due to the temperature.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
First of all, I highly suspect that your sensors are not being correctly interpreted. That is quite common. I think if you were as hot as you originally reported, your CPU would have shut down to prevent damage to your CPU.

Second, do be sure to take off the old thermal paste and put some Artic Silver on there as per the instuctions on the link I gave you earlier.

See what happens when you get that done and report back what you are seeing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help I will be purchasing Artic Silver 5 today :)

Then I will report back with the temperatures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, Purchased Artic Silver 5. Will arrive on Monday, Also I was wondering what should I use to clear off the remaining thermal paste? Could I use Vodka or White Spirit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Get yourself some 90+ alcohol and use a lint free soft cloth. Works like a charm and you can get that alcohol at any drug store or even some place like Walmart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.