Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard drive in an enclosure that I connected to my friend's computer. She had a virus on it, and now when I try connecting the hard drive to my own computer, it says it is corrupted and unreadable. Did I just lose all the information on the hard drive? Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Was it readable on your computer before? Is it still readable on hers? Are operating systems and file systems the same on both computers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was readable on my own computer before. it was not readable on her computer right when i plugged it into the usb port. i know she has viruses that messed up her computer, so that's why she had to reformat. i tried to back up her stuff on the hard drive. i know, it was dumb, b/c why would i connect the hard drive to an infected computer. anyway, it was readable on my computer before it touched hers and now its not readable on either

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Don't give up on your data. Can't give definitive advice but have you tried a drive utility, ckhdsk /f or fix mbr?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
A drive utility is a software program that will perform various tests on the drive itself, usually supplied with the drive or downloadable from the manufacturer’s website

Chkdsk is a dos command which will check the drive for errors- Start>run>cmd>chkdsk x: /f, where x is the drive letter of the drive in question. /f denotes fix errors. /? Will show you a little about command line options

You might get more responses if you could elaborate more on the problem such as when you get the error message, the exact message, operating systems and drive model, etc. Exactly what happened when plugged in to her computer?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about the model. Was working fine w/ my current computer, a Toshiba Satellite notebook. Right when I plugged it into my friend's Dell and I clicked on the drive to view its contents, a msg appeared saying the drive is unreadable. I thought it was just incompatible for some reason. Then I plug it back into mine, and the same msg appears. So I'm pretty sure it's due to the virus. Win XP Home on both computers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.