Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old flash drive that seems to be unreadable. It has no data on it so I'm not attempting to rescue any data, but the drive just says "Please insert a disk into USB Drive (D:)." I cannot format it because it doesn't even detect it correctly when inserted. I'm mainly wondering if there is any way to rescue the drive or should I just toss it? I'm not sure if I would feel secure storing data on it anyways at this point. If I toss it should I throw it into the regular trash, or is there some special way to recycle it? Or should I give it to a computer repair store if they want it?

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,578 Posts
Flash drive are notoriously fragile storage devices, we do not suggest storing files on them unless they are backed up somewhere else. These devices tend to fail, and they are relatively cheap to replace, so, you shouldn't waste any time trying to fix it. Do a Google search in your area for EWaste collection to properly dispose of your electronics.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,060 Posts
Any physical damage ends the life cycle. Without that abuse, the manufacturers base their expectancy on the number of cycles it goes thru. They are overly optimistic when they think the average user will get 10 years out of their little gems.

·
Global Moderator
51,622 Posts
As others have said, USB FLASH drives are a poor backup medium. They're better than nothing, but hardly the most reliable method. If you're going to use a USB FLASH drive as backup, my advice is to use more than one and rotate them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts