Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get this message when I boot that a file is corrupt, and I need to boot with the windows xp cd and press r to repair it. Im following this guide, http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

Although, When I press r, it tells me that it cannot find a hard drive installed (It says this when I take out my secondary drive with nothing on it, other than that I think it looks in the secondary one). So, the setup doesn't seem to be detecting my hard drive, but in the BIOS it shows that it's there. I can hear that it's running as well.
the main drive its not detecting is SATA while the other is IDE.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
edihedihedih said:
So, I get this message when I boot that a file is corrupt, and I need to boot with the windows xp cd and press r to repair it. Im following this guide, http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

Although, When I press r, it tells me that it cannot find a hard drive installed (It says this when I take out my secondary drive with nothing on it, other than that I think it looks in the secondary one). So, the setup doesn't seem to be detecting my hard drive, but in the BIOS it shows that it's there. I can hear that it's running as well.
the main drive its not detecting is SATA while the other is IDE.
If you have a SATA drive you must load the SATA controller drivers at the F6 prompt. This would include when you do a repair installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crazijoe said:
If you have a SATA drive you must load the SATA controller drivers at the F6 prompt. This would include when you do a repair installation.
ah, I see. Could you briefly describe what you'd to load them?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The first thing you need to do is identify what type of SATA controller you have. You will probably need to go to the motherboard manufacturers website and download the drivers. You will then need to load the drives onto a floppy disk. During the Win install, it will prompt you to press F6 to install additional RAID or SCSI drivers. This is where you need the floppy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have a WD800JD and went here http://support.wdc.com/download/
its the 1st gen, first on the list. Do I put the, "SIIG Serial ATA Controller Card Driver" , "WD Serial ATA RAID Card Driver" and the "Promise FastTrax TX2300 Controller Driver on floppys? Or is it something else.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team
8,123 Posts
As crazijoe stated, "The first thing you need to do is identify what type of SATA controller you have. You will probably need to go to the motherboard manufacturers website and download the drivers". It is not the HDD model that counts, it's the SATA controller where this HDD is hooked. You really need to identify your motherboard and post back. (If you don't know how to do this, read step 3 of this article.) Some motherboards have two separate SATA controllers, so you also need to know exactly which one controls your HDD. If this is the case, you'll see e.g. SATA_1, SATA_2, PRI_SATA, SEC_SATA; please post back where your own HDD is actually plugged in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yes theres a cd. should I boot with it?

edit:It doesn't allow me to boot with it and it just tells me about the corrupt file in windows again, so I dont see how the cd is any use.

·
8,123 Posts
Edihedihedih, I believe that from the web page you provided as a link, the correct drivers should be:
- SiS Mini IDE Driver 2.04a for WIN98SE/ME/2K/XP (if you have configured SATA on IDE)
- SiS RAID Driver V1.05 For Windows 98SE/ME/2K/NT/XP (if you have configured it as RAID)

Now, both these driver packages are >5MB, so you'll have to download them and unzip them in another pc, and then locate the actual drivers (let us know of their contents so you receive exact instructions), the ones you'll finally copy to the floppy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there was make disc thing in one of the zips and I used it and it it worked, but back to the original site I went to. The administrator password.. I have no idea what it's supposed to be. Is there a default one or something? When is the password made?

·
8,123 Posts
This password is set at the time of Windows clean installation.
If you haven't set any password, just press Enter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.