Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W2K Pro, Every time I start W2K Pro, I get a message that the "C" drive is corrupt and that I need to do a chkdsk/f. On reboot the chkdsk runs and them reboots. The same message appears again when I login.
What's wrong here?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
283 Posts
It looks to me like your harddrive has bad sectors on it. Try loading it in Last Known Good Configuration or safe mode to see if it boots.

If you don't know how to get to this screen reboot the PC and when Win is loading press F8 to enter setup. Then choose your boot options.

If this doesn't work then I hope that you backed up your files because you would probably have to reformat your drive and do a clean install.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If he has bad sectors, a format & reinstall won't help.

Boot in safe mode - hold F8 down when you see a "starting windows" message. Select safe mode.

Run Scandisk as specified. This should find the bad sectors and mark them. Hopefully your files should be OK. However, they may have been corrupted. If you have a lot of bad sectors then you need a new hard disk.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The message is indicating that the data is scrambled on the disk, not that the disk is bad. There's a real good chance that the hardware is fine, but there's also a real good chance that you'll have to do a re-install or a restore from backup (if you have backup).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
download and run the MFG diagnostics just to be sure...if you cant find them or your not sure who makes your drive go to www.ONTRACK.com and download the generic one...if you hard drive is bad your not going to save it so get what you can off it and ghost to a new drive...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.