Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several posts across the internet on the issue I am having, but none seem to work or exactly fit my problem. I have a Toshiba A215-S5822 laptop. It was having this issues with going to a black screen after 20 minutes or so of continual use. I searched the internet and found others having the issue and a bios upgrade that supposedly addressed the issue. I downloaded the bios, made a copy on CD, then tried the option for upgrading the bios in Windows (I have Vista on this machine). On about step 5 of 17 the computer powered off and never restarted. I was plugged into the AC power, all apps closed, etc.

Now when you hit the power button the thing seems to power up, the CD will spin if a disk is in it, sounds like the fan is running, etc... but the screen stays black. I have tried several things I saw around this problem in various forums. I tried holding down C when I started forcing a boot from CD. I tired some directions around holding down FN + B and FN + ESC then plugging it in and turning it on with the bios CD I made in the drive. I tried a trick someone posted about the Phoenix bios thinking it used an AMIBOOT bios block keyh sequence and renamed the .rom file to AMIBOOT trying the block mode shortcut keys (FN+B or FN+ESC).

I am about to admit the thing is just bricked and I will have to spend about $300 on fixing it our just use as a doorstop. Even looked at ordering a new bios chip, but the site carrying them acted like it was a major soldering effort to install one rather than just a matter of popping it out and putting a new one in.

I guess I am thinking there might be someone on the forum who is up for this particular challenge. Since it powers on and the CD spins I am just wondering if I am one key sequence away from getting this thing to recognize a rescue CD of some sort to come back to life... or one $30 chip away from getting it running again. I don't know what is inside to know if the bios is easy to replace. I am not interested in replacing a laptop motherboard myself. Desktops are one thing, but I just am not that confident I would not screw it up.

If you have read this far, you must have an interest! I am not in a rush so I am happy to try several things. Just hesitant to toss the thing or sell it for parts until I have at least posted the question.

Appreciate any help you folks who are way smarter than me an offer!!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
As you have found out, never try to update the Bios in Windows. You could try clearing the CMOS but I'm doubtful that will resolve your problem. Instructions should be in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone,
I have the same problem but with a Toshiba satellite P200. I downloaded from Toshiba website a flashcard update, but, one of the files was corrupt and now I have a very expensive mirror.......
Can anyone help???
thanks a bunch,
FCCAPITAIN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.