Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a folder for clipart associated with CorelDraw X6. I cannot get thumbnails of the clipart to show so that I can choose a design. I have to open every single individual file to see what it contains. These are .cdr files. Is there a way I can get these to show properly?? Is there something set wrong in my computer - or do I have a registry problem?? I had a lot of trouble installing this program, which is actually in tandem with an embroidery program I use with my Bernina embroidery software. I took my computer to a friend's husband that is a computer/data expert (in the business) and he finally got my registry cleaned up and the program installed so I can use it. Before that, I was constantly getting errors and that segment of my embroidery program was un-usable. I have included a snippet of what the contents of my folder looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the program you suggested, but before I install it, I wanted to ask a question. If CorelDraw comes with the .cdr files as part of it, shouldn't CorelDraw automatically take care of everything with clipart??? In the classes I've been to, everyone else automatically has the thumbnails....but then again they didn't have any problems installing the program(s) to start with. This viewer won't have anything to do with my embroidery software - correct?? When I am using the embroidery software, it will open the .crd files so I can use them, but that's after I've had to individually look at each file before asking my embroidery software to go get it and load it. Just want to be sure I'm not screwing up something because of the "tandem-ness" of Corel and my V7 Bernina software.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,873 Posts
It's been a while since I used Corel and don't at present. I used the 300+ page book of clipart which was much easier than what you're trying to do. Does the book still come with Corel?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no book with Corel since it was part of the installation of my Bernina V7 Embroidery Software. I will install your viewer program and if that at least helps me see the designs it will be a big help. Since the clip art is NOT in any directory or folder directly associated with Corel or V7, I don't think it will be a problem. It is in the C:/ directory, The programs are in C:/Program Files (c86). I don't believe I can run Corel all by itself. There is a folder in Corel called CONNECT and I know I need that for it to work with my Bernina stuff. I will try your download, but it's not "viewing the files" per se that is the problem. It's that I can't see a thumbnail of the graphic BEFORE I open it. I should be able to see a small version of that graphic before I open it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You could try a dodge, copy one of the CDR files, rename it, and change its suffix to .jpg or .bmp, or one of the other common image suffixes, then you would get the thumbnails - No idea if it will work, but surely worth a try with one file. My Panasonic video camera produces MOD files which only the Panasonic software reads, but I just change the suffix to .mp4 and almost any video program can read them. It's worth a try, then all you would need to do is a global find and replace on *.cdr, which I am sure someone will explain how to do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Corel files I need for my Embroidery software have to be in VECTOR format - so changing them to .bmp or something else wouldn't work for me. I will research the references also listed in a reply to my problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Corel files I need for my Embroidery software have to be in VECTOR format - so changing them to .bmp or something else wouldn't work for me. I will research the references also listed in a reply to my problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
You could try .wmf or .emf - Both are vector files. WMF works with multiple straight lines end to end to make a curve, emf uses genuine curves. The problem is that CDR files contain vector, raster and text, which may make it difficult to find something else to read them.

One of the Corel forum posts referred to the possibility of a missing dll file, that might be worth investigating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.