Here's my setup:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6600
2x Western Digital 250GB SATA II Hard Drives
nVidia GeForce 7900GS
Cooler Master Eclipse CPU Cooling Fan
Thermaltake Swing Case

and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Now... in idle, my CPU is about 102 degrees fahrenheit. Why is it so hot?

·
Registered
878 Posts
What kinda case fans ya got goin'? You should have one in the front pulling air in, and one in back pushing air out.

How'd you prep for and apply the thermal paste and heatsink? Make sure all fans that are in there are blowing the right way and up to spec.

That's not OUTRAGEOUS, but it could be better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have a 120mm exhaust fan in the rear of the case. I put just enough thermal compound as I know how from building computers for about 4 years. I think an intake fan would make a difference, but I'm out of cash right now. I just checked my temperatures and its on load at 120 degrees F.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

While I think it might be worth the five or six bucks for a front fan, your temp of 120F translates into 48.88888888888889c. That is not too shabby and is in the normal range if under load. If it gets over 60C, then you should worry about it, but not until you get to that point with this CPU. 48C under load is a very good temp.

Note: It is standard to report your temps in celsius instead of fahrenheit for a computer. That is the normal scale we use.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well thats similar to mine when I was using a Zalman aeroflower 9500, now I'm using a Thermalright sl120 and my temps are down 10 degrees +, so although your case may well be playing a part in this, the CPU heatsink\cooler makes a big difference as well, but all the time it's under 60 degrees as said you should be fine, but it may be improved upon depending what case\fans\money you have to work with, but you have no real worries ATM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.