Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Ok . Well I was hoping if someone can assist me in determining if a CPU upgrade is worth my money
My new system's components are detailed below -

DUAL CORE PENTIUM D 3.40G 950
ASUS P5B DELUXE 965 WIFI-AP 775 MOTHERBOARD 1066 FSB
CORSAIR TWIN2X1024 PC2-8500 1066MHZ DDR2 RAM (2X512)
WD 250GB IDE HDD
2 x WD 160GB SATAII HDD
LG GSA-H10N DVD WRITER
D-LINK DSL604-T WIRELESS ROUTER
LOGITECH X-530 5.1 SYSTEM
POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON X 1900 XT 512MB DDR3 PCI-E
OMNI 550W PSU (120mm fan)
TT Blue Orb II CPU COOLER
MICROSOFT LIFECAM-3000
PRINTER HP DESKJET 3745
DELL USB (HUB) ENHANCED MEDIA K/B
ANTEC P180B PERFORMANCE-ONE CASE
LG 1917S 19" LCD FLATRON MONITOR

As you can see both my RAM and my Mobo are ready for 1066 FSB and my Mobo is also Core2/Quad core ready

Also note that no parts are overclocked

What i want to know is -

1. Is it worth my money upgrading to a Core2 CPU?

2. If so would a ATX E6400 CORE 2 DUO /2.13GHz/2MB offer a notable increase in overall speed?
3. Can my current CPU be overclocked in this current configuration? If so what is the simplest way of doing this?
4. Is it advisable to run 2 ATI 3D cards in Crossfire when one is a different size to the other? (eg. x1900xt 512mb + X1800 XT 256mb Crossfire Edition)

Any feedback is appreciated here

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
the core-2 is well worth upgrading; especially when you have a system so close now!

no your "D" cant be overclocked to get anywhere near the core-2

not sure about your video card question; maybe someone else will jump in here

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
It's not recommended to use two different video cards with different sizes, but you can. Although i'm not too sure what the consequences could be of this, someone with more knowledge about the issue could probally be a little more help ;)

I think it will work, although they will be matched to run at the same 'speed' - this speed will be the one with the lowest amount of memory. Like i said above, someone with more knowledge will be a better help.

·
Registered
399 Posts
an x1800 cannot be run with a x1900xt, theyre two different generations. also, theres no need for that 1066 ram, even if you want to overclock, ddr2 800 ram is enough. if youre not overclocking, ddr2 533 is enough as it will be 1:1 with the cpu at stock, which is all thats really needed. by the way, the fsb is 266, its just "quad pumped", so your 1066 ddr2 would be twice the speed of the fsb at stock, since its actual frequency will be 533.

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
If the graphics cards run off the same voltage and transfer speed, i'm sure it would be compatible to an extent. Although like i said before, it really isn't suggested that you even try.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
CrossFire and SLi reqquire that both cards be of the same type. An X1900XT must be paired with another X1900XT, and a 7800GTX must be paired with a 7800GTX.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAID Disk (Making a boot disk from 2x RAID0 configed HD)

Well thanks for that guys .... im thinkin this forum is one of the better ones about.
(There is SO much BS out there ... its crazy)

I am gettin me a e6400 Core2 this weekend (couldnt resist as got a wicked deal from my local) and since i am gonna be doin that and havin a little downtime i figured this would be the best time to set up my 2x160gb SATAII HD as my boot drive and run them in the (somewhat notorious) RAID0 config.

What i want to know is -

1. With my current config. (see above) my new P5B manual tells me I need to make up a RAID disk. Now this is ok but i assume this means i can use a CD right? (I actually never bothered wiring up my FDD) :)

2. On my mobo (p5b deluxe) i have 6 main SATA channels.
The manual tells me that channels 1,2,5,6 (all red sockets) are set as MASTER and 3,4 (black sockets) are set as SLAVE
If I am looking to run 2 x 160gb in RAID0 (striped) config as a boot drive which channels should i be connecting these to? (My guess is 1 and 2 as they are seen as equal and neither act as a slave)

3. In relation to my PC2-8500 1066fsb RAM (above) will this run at full capacity when i install my new Core2 cpu?

4. I am not sure my ASUS Suite tool is working as it should as every time i change ANY setting (eg. AI NOS, AI Booster) it forces me to reboot if i want to apply it. It wont even let me close the app in this setting unless i reboot.
So is this tool intended on being run in safe mode or something? is this AI Suite rated? Is there another app/freeware that is recommended instead?

Sorry to throw up an essay guys but i am v keen to hear your thoughts.
Im impressed. A few posts so far, quite a few (timely) responses and not a single t0$$a. hats off 2 ya fellas ; )

Ian (i salute u all)

8 )

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
to answer question #1:

the raid makedisk.exe is expected to be run in floppy format to do otherwise you are inviting one hellva struggle. The easiest way out is to connect the floppy drive :laugh:

question #2 yes; connect your raid drives to channels 1 & 2 make sure (read manual) that channels 1 & 2 are raid capable

question 3: I would expect your ram to be run a full capabilities

question 4: The AI booster is a very good tool for the user that does not want to learn the real GUTS of overclocking the manual way. Less machines are damamged use AI booster than modifying settings the manual way, the restarting is just an annoyance, however if you were changing settings in the bios the "manual" way you would be restarting often too!

You should have done enough overclocking by now, by the sounds of your questions to realize the benefits of OCing are hyped?

maybe on the new Intel E6400 chip (allendale not conroe) overclocking may reserect its usefulness, as the E4300 can be clocked to 3.0ghz with stability on air.

enjoy; the research is half the fun! seperating the truth from the poo-poo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.