1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a new system with the following specs:

Core i7 920 CPU - 2.66 GHz
DDR3 1066 RAM 1Gb (x6)
ASUS P6T SE Mainboard (AMI BIOS version 0203)
NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT 1Gb RAM Video Adaptor
Seagate 7200 1.5 Tb HDD (x2)

Here's my problem: The system was running extremely slow from the start. So I ran a couple benchmark programs, and it was rated extremely low for a Core i7 processor. Then I noted CPUIZ only showed it having two cores with four logical threads (with Hyperthreading technology). Windows system information also shows only two cores, as well as every benchmarking system info program I have. Only two cores of this quad core i7 CPU are working.

Here's what I've done so far:
Checked all the BIOS settings. Only two cores being displayed in BIOS... I updated the BIOS to the latest version, then after flashing the BIOS, I checked the settings again. Still no answer. There is one setting that says Number of Active Cores. The settings are: 1 or 2 only.

So what can I do to get the two other cores working, and get this system up and running like its supposed to be? I built this myself. Am I missing something? Is this possibly a hardware issue? Did I get duped into buying a dual core i7 processor in a Quad Core i7 box? Is there such a monster as a two core, Core i7 CPU? Please help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chipset drivers that came with the motherboard had not installed properly and was hanging up the system every time I tried to reinstall them. Finally, after seven attempts, it worked and finished installing. After that, everything has been working like a charm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.