Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been having troubles with something that seems easy but hasn't been for a few days now so i thought id reach out for others support/perspective cause maybe I'm just being stupid.. I'm trying to copy my windows SSD to my external HDD so i have a backup copy of windows exactly the way i want it setup as far as settings, programs, program settings, wallpapers all of that goes it's absolutely perfect and i want a backup copy encase my main SSD ever goes out for some reason.. But every-time i try to use software to clone my SSD to my external HDD it does some really unusual things I've never seen before.. It will split the HDD i copied to up into like 5 different separate drives.. And if i unplug the HDD for example my monitor will just completely freeze until i plug it back in.. I've never had anything like this happen before but it's kinda scary i wanted to restart my PC to see if i could just boot into the external HDD but after seeing it split into multiple drives and it freezing if i unplug it i just wiped it and put it back up.. This has happend with two different software I've tried using (Mini-tool partition wizard pro) and (Macrium Reflect 7) but it keeps doing the same-thing so i know it's not a software issue.. I've took some pictures for reference and all replies even negative are GREATLY appreciated.. Thank you so much.

The extra drives it makes when i copy the SSD over to the external HDD:

What it looks like from inside of Wizard Partition Pro:

How it looked before copy:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
Have you reformatted the HD yet?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
Did you run FDISC from DOS to remove all partitions?

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,536 Posts
I don't see anything strange here. Your Windows SSD contains several partitions which are NOT visible in This PC, but partition management programs show them all, as you can see in your Mini-tool screenshot. When you clone the SSD to the external HDD, ALL those partitions get copied from the SSD as expected, and Windows automatically mounts and assigns them drive letters, which is why you're seeing more drives in This PC than there were before the cloning. Windows won't let you boot from the external HDD the way it boots from the internal SSD. To test the clone, you have to remove the actual disk from its casing and connect it to your PC internally, IF it has a standard SATA interface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts