Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I want to copy my c: drive to another hdd as I have ran out of room. I don't want all the hassle of re-installing the o/s and all my other apps so is their a way I can do this in DOS?

How do I get DOS to recognise my 2 hdd's so that I can use the copy *.* function.

Cheers
Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You can't use the copy function, however if you check with Maxtor or WD websites, they supply an imaging utility that'll copy a full hard disk to a new one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Norton Ghost, does a good job of copying

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys

Have got Norton Ghost am will be trying it tonight. It said the c: drive needed defragging first after trying it last night.

Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Before you run any imaging software, you should for sure run CHKDSK or SCANDISK, depending on which O/S you have. Defragging is a good idea, though it's normally not necessary.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still can't get ghost to work. It just says:

"Unable to defragment the Virtual Partition File. This is probably due to your disk being too fragmented. Run defrag........."

Shall try powerquest drive.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sod!

Will nothing work. Now when I run Powerquest Drive it says "Cannot prepare machine for reboot. Exit code 17. You must run it from floppy."

So I run it from floppy and it says something like disk manager or drive manager has been found on Drive 0 but is not running?

Can anyone help me cos this is really driving me mad!!!

Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Now it all becomes clear! You partitioned the drive with a 3rd party drive overlay when it was originally installed! I'm afraid to say, I don't have any good ideas on making an image. Did you try the Maxtor or Western Digital utilities? I know that Maxtor deals with the drive overlay in their software...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Johnwill

No I didn't I haven't touched this drive since I got my pc. I did however partition my other hard drive which is a 60gb one with some dynamic drive overlay software because my old BIOS didn't support that large size of drive. Do you think this is what is affecting it?

Also I have a new mobo now and BIOS that does support a 60gb drive so would I be safe in removing this DDO or will it mess up the drive?

Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you copy from the first drive to the second, you're running afoul of the drive overlay, I think that's the basic issue.

Removing the drive overlay will obviously also remove the data on the drive, so you'll need a backup. Of course, you should have a backup of your data anyway! :) FWIW, I avoid drive overlay software like the plague, it only complicates the process of using hard disks. :D

IMO, I'd figure out how to get rid of the drive overlay and then attempt the copy. I really don't know why GHOST *****es about fragmentation, I've never seen that message. I cruised over to Symantec and here's what they say about that message:

Unable to defrag...

If you're using GHOST 7003, you might try making a boot floppy and running the copy that way after you get rid of the drive overlay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.