Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a file server here in the office on which we have a separate folder for each client. In several of these folders are a document, specific to that client, but with the same name as a similar though not identical document in another client's folder. In other words in client1's folder there may be document.doc and in client2's folder there may be a document.doc. I have need to create a collection of the 400 or so document.doc files in one place but if I were to try to simply copy them from the search result I would get a message asking me if I want to overwrite the files. Is there a way, perhaps from the command line, to copy the files from the search results to the new location and append the name of the folder from which the file is being copied to the file? In other words, client1\document.doc and client2\document.doc will be copied to newfolder\documentclient1.doc and newfolder\documentclient2.doc. Is this something for which I should use robocopy? I've got two computers, one running xp pro sp3 and the other running win 7 pro sp1. The files are on an ms small business server 2011 and will, hopefully, be copied to a file on one of the two local computers from the server. Thanks!

Ariel

·
Registered
40,732 Posts
You cannot copy a file with the same name to a new location without overwriting the previous version. Rename the file before copying it, If you want to keep the original file name in the original folder, then copy it and rename it before moving it. Of course if you rename the file then it will not get updated once changes are made.

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts
Ariel,

Basic way of doing it - Do a search for "Document.doc" using windows search and then highlight all and right-click, rename. Say you call them "FilesToBeAudited.doc".. If I'm right, the files will be named as;

FilesToBeAudited (1).doc
FilesToBeAudited (2).doc
FilesToBeAudited (3).doc
FilesToBeAudited (4).doc
FilesToBeAudited (5).doc
FilesToBeAudited (6).doc

:Thinkingo

Let me know if this works!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.