Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'm trying to install windows XP on my new hard drive but not with the original setup disc. I have a copied one because the original was scratched and sometimes would not be able to be read. So I copied the contents of the disk onto a different disk and what do you know? The original disk fails to read immediatley afterwards. Anyway, the copied disk is of course unbootable. I set it to number 1 in the boot sequence and everything. The problem is is that it is copied. Now this is the part I need help with. I went some poking around and found a thread where a guy was having this same problem. Someone posted a reply and said this:

You can make a boot CD with himem.sys and smartdrive and boot with that, then put in your XP disk and go to the i386 folder and run Winnt.exe,or, you can make a bootable floppy that has CD ROM support, himem.sys and smartdrive on it and go to the i386 folder of the CD and run Winnt.exe.

What does this mean? What is smartdrive? Does this even work? Where would I get himem.sys?

·
Registered
92 Posts
himem is a driver that "saves" or allows dos programs to run through Windows (If i read it right?) Anyways, from the computer your on, download poweriso, its free and you can burn bootable disc's with it. Once that's installed, Removed
the OS you have the key for (ex: WindowsxpServicepack1,""2, etc.) So, If on the side of your computer is says Windows xp Service pack 3, then you want to download an iso with the Windows xp with service pack 3 in it. That being said, you now open the .iso file with poweriso, click burn at the top, insert a cd/dvd to burn it to, change the write speed to the lowest possible setting.....and your done! Install and enjoy good sir!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah perfect! Sounds like it will work! I'll go to my friends house and see if he will lemme burn the cd there. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
himem is a driver that "saves" or allows dos programs to run through Windows (If i read it right?) Anyways, from the computer your on, download poweriso, its free and you can burn bootable disc's with it. Once that's installed, the OS you have the key for (ex: WindowsxpServicepack1,""2, etc.) So, If on the side of your computer is says Windows xp Service pack 3, then you want to download an iso with the Windows xp with service pack 3 in it. That being said, you now open the .iso file with poweriso, click burn at the top, insert a cd/dvd to burn it to, change the write speed to the lowest possible setting.....and your done! Install and enjoy good sir!

Downloading Any version of Windows for free is illegal! Pirated software and advice about them is frawned apon at this forum. Please refer to the forum rules >>> here http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
This post is closed.

BG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.