Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm having trouble with my computer, with the cooling system, with noise, yeah, so I'm gonna explain the whole story:

History: I built this computer myself, components:
Asus A8n sli deluxe motherboard
amd athlon64 3000+ processor
samsung DVDRW
Seagate 120gig hdd
WD120 gig hdd
nvidia geforce 6600gt
4 masscool fans (1 exhaust rear, 1 exhaust window, 2 in front)
"echostar" 430W power supply
2 sticks of rosewill RAM (not dual channeled)
some generic case

So heres the deal: its LOUD, louder than all my friends who have built theirs. I bought good components for the most part, but the case was really cheap, it came with a free PSU, and the fans were newegged, but they were only a dollar each. So I admit it, I skimped on the cooling, a big part of the computer, and now i'm paying the price. my computer, on hotter days, shut down because [I think] it overheated. it occasionally makes rattling noises. here are some symptoms:

1) the little Asus heatsink (about 1.5 inches square), which has a fan in it, started rattling a while ago. so i removed the four tiny screws and cleaned the fan. it seemed to stop the rattling. however, right now, the fan isnt spinning at all, though this is a more recent development
2) I'm trying to isolate sounds in my case, but i think that the GPU fan is rattling too (unsure). its pretty hard to tell, i wish i could give power to one thing at a time.
3) the fans: I was pretty sure the fans were the main culprit for all the noise, and they are pretty noisy, so I ordered an Arctic Cooling silencer64 ultra heatsink fan and an arctic cooling case fan 3tc. they seem like good products.
4) however, even after disconnecting the fans, I still here a huge blaring noise. i dont think its possible for the GPU to be making this much noise, so i could only think of a few other possibilities: the cheap (read: free) PSU comes back to bite me, or somehow the mobo makes that much noise by itself.

in #1 if the heatsink is a real problem, will that require getting a new mobo (money... :cry:)? I know the new fans wont do the whole trick, but its worth a shot. Should I look into a new PSU, if yes any suggestions? could a new case help somehow? ( WOW as i was writing this the front usb door broke off... :3angry2: :3angry2: ) Please advise....

I cannot believe that just happened :cussing:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

To be quite honest, you skimped on the most important piece of your equipment, the power supply. A good power supply will cost about 100 bucks and any that sell for much less are just not worth anything. I can only recommend two brands unless you have big bucks to spend. The two I recommend are the Enermax and the Antec power supplies.

My suggestions:

First, you need to get that little fan working even if you have to replace it or you might fry something from being too hot. Try cleaning it again with a can of air.

Second, take a look at the Antec Sonata II case. It is beautiful, is very quiet, has an Antec 450 power supply in it and runs cool if it is set up correctly. You can buy one of these for the price of the new power supply which is about 100 bucks. I do recommend that you purchase an Antec 120mm fan for the front of the case and the holes are already there for it. This is a great case.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the advice guys (wasnt quite expecting a scolding, tho i deserve it)
At this point i'm worried about using this computer to write this post. Im rethinking everything about the system, making sure its not damaged or whatever, because as i can tell, this is a serious problem. So:
-the fans are being replaced/upgraded (already bought an arctic cooling silencer 64 and exhaust fan 3tc, these should be good, right?)
-was considering replacing PSU b/c of noise anyways
-the case, like i said is a pile of horse doodoo, but i can live with it if its gonna cost to much to replace
-the motherboard might be damaged thats my worst fear. so hopefully not a replacement, but something like that small fan might be needed.
-everything else should be okay right? HDD, DVDRW, gfx card, etc. lol thats a lot that could be wrong tho.... :sad: yeah i scrood up but i'm gonna fix it. I'm trying not to break the bank on this one. so shopping list:
-new PSU
-new northbridge fan
-possibly new case
all for < 120 dollars
dont mean to sound cheap, but i'm a poor college student so please bear w/ me. about the antec PSU's, i know someone who builds comps for a school, had 5 antec cases which he replaced all the PSUs in a year, and one of them actually shot flames out the back.... :scared: , is that a freak occurence? thanks again for all your help guys
EDIT: not sure if those were antec PSU, but the doors broke off real easy (as in when he was putting em together)
EDIT #2: I sent out the newegg order today, should i cancel the fans and get the PSU or tiny fan instead?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Clown:

Nobody is scolding you nor will you ever receive a condasending reply in this forum / the manager in here is very professional and deliberately keeps this site very friendly!!

Tumbleweed (excellent Tech) stated the obvious (skimped on selection of a key component) hoping your understand the role of the PSU in the more up to date computer system!

The PSU deserves and requires EQUAL quality considerations when selecting computer parts as does the mobo or CPU or video card !! the PSU is the heart of the system / without clean consistent voltage a system will not run correctly and probally even result in frying a motherboard, cpu, video cards, hard drives I have seen them all burned up by poor quality PSU's

You should feel very lucky / your problem is NOISE most generic PSU owners problem is a unstable or burning up system !!

either PSU maker advised above is excellent and Quite !! as far as cases ???? I like the antec too dont know what happened to your friend and all the damage but sounds like he is a ruff dude maybe ???? I have sold three antec cases & antec PSU combo's in the last 2 months / havent heard a complaint yet and one dude has some kids that the devil could learn new tricks from !!! I have helped him replace his cd-rom tray twice already
and power button

As for your chipset fan / if you mobo came with one I would replace it asap if it doesnt work / any after market cooling products made by thermalright/ thermalttake or zalman are going to be better and quiter cooling solutions than the original equipment

the PSU replacement will be your biggest gain in acheiving a quiter system

that Enermax link is a VERY good quality PSU and well worth every penny of the 89.00 !!!!! thats a hot price !!

PS / dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry about the "scolding" thing, was joking. but dont worry, i'm giving myself (and my wallet) a big enough scolding for this. :laugh:

Anyways: I cancelled the fans, since they were not as high priority. How does this PSU look?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103927
If you guys dont like that one, I'll probably go with the Enermax, but it seems as good or better than the one that comes in the sonata2 case.

I know its less expensive, but its Antec, and its the truepower series. 380 W should be enough to power the system. As of now I consider the PSU and fixing that northbridge fan a TOP priority, case and case fans arent too big. but that northbridge fan looks a little overkill... kinda like a turbo or something for the motherboard, are there any other quieter and possibly cheaper nrthbridge fans? As for the case, i've heard the door breaks off, and thats the last thing i want, but i'll worry about case later. thanks!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Gotcha on that one and I really know what I am talking about on this one. I happen to own both a Sonata I (with the power supply you listed) and a Sonata II with the Antec 450. My Sonata I case has a Pentium 4 2.8 in it with an ASUS P4c800-e deluxe and my Sontata II has an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego in it and ummmmm you guessed it, the ASUS A8N-sli deluxe.

The power supply you have listed is a great little power supply, but not as strong as the one in the Sonata II. Rest assured, I am not guessing on this one and am speaking from experience on these babies since I own both. However, the 380 (some told me it would not) it pulls my Pentium 4 with no problems and has for the past two years. I just wanted something stronger for the Athlon unit I built recently since I have pci-e video now.

If you are doing somthing very short term (no upgrades in the near future, bare minimum for today only, just to get by), you might be able to skim by on the 380, but that might be risky. If there is any chance you will upgrade in the near future to either a bigger CPU or any bigger video card, extra drives, more fans, then you really need to consider the Enermax supply or something nearer the 500 watt range.

Well, there you have my opinion, so the ball is now in your court, but you might want to wait until you hear another opinion or two before you leap out there and buy something you can't use. Hope this information is useful and not scolding......only joking, we tend to like it light in here.

Addendum: I just visited Ebay and many people buy a case they like and upgrade the power supply before they build the system and have never used the power supply. A case in point is the original Sonata case where they will put bigger supplies in them because of the great case.

There are many Antec And Enermax power supplies in the range you are looking at for less than 60 bucks that have never been used. If money is an issue, you might take a look here, but be careful on the shipping cost....some on Ebay make their money on shipping and not the product.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
correct me if i'm wrong, the Sonata II has this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103936
power supply, right? is it worth the extra 52$ for the sonataII case? for that much, i was thinking I could probably buy a whole other case. I looked at the reviews for the Truepower, and people seemed to be running plenty more stuff than i am, with it working fine, but with the other one at about 5 bux more, I'm on the fence :4-dontkno . Also, does this seem like a good choice for the mobo fan?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214
how about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155
or: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103154
I want to order these ASAP to avoid damaging my comp any further. thanks!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ crazyclown
One of my favorite sites that I learned much about quieting and cooling computers is SilentPCReview . Have a look around there as there are many suggestions for recommended quiet components as well as case mods you can do to help quiet your system and still allow maximum performance...and most case mods are free to do, just add labor :grin:
You are on the right track, tho with quieting the loudest component first, then a different component will be the loudest, so you quiet that one, and then...well you get the idea...it is infectuous! You have also recieved some excellent advice from others...good luck and keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the site, please. I went ahead and ordered the SP450 for 60 on buy.com. I dont think i'm gonna use my computer till i get the PSU and the northbridge fan ( which i havent ordered yet, still waiting on a suggestion ). it just cut out while i was writing the post. should I buy more cooling fans? or is the problem going to be solved with those two things? okay thanks!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ crazyclown
More fans could be an answer, but maybe not the best answer. The new Antec SP450 PSU is a great start as you want a stable system before attempting to keep it cool and quiet it down. Check your current case to see if you can mod to put larger fans that can be run slower/quieter during lower demand usage and then be turned up(with a fan controller) for max cooling during high demand. You may also be able to add a second fan in the back. If you checked the link I gave you, there are some good mod tips to improve internal airflow. Think about overall system airflow and try a front-to-back perspective. Any deviation from that ideal will add noise and temps. Try cleaning up your internal cabling to improve airflow. Try cutting out existing restrictive fan grills and add less restrictive wire grills. You might also consider turning around the side case fan to blow in onto the MB as that may add some more cooling to the NB and SB and GPU. Then you may be able to get away with one fron fan, or turn them both down so they are very quiet as you may just need a very small flow to cool the HDDs and to balance the total fan input and output. Having slightly negative case pressure(more airflow outgoing than incoming) or slightly positive case pressure(more air coming in versus going out) is good but extremes of either example may not be good. I prefer positive pressure as I can control where the air comes in and add filters to help control dust accumilation. A side note, it is the total airflow which creates negative or positive pressure, not just the number of fans, so you have to consider the fan size and fan speed to determine what you have. don't forget to add in your PSU fan. Another simple way is to move a lit inscense stick around your case, and any unsealed seams or perforations/openings will either draw the smoke in(meaning negative pressure) or blow out(meaning positive pressure)

It is difficult to do everything at once without designing the system for cool, quiet performance from the beginning and without good knowledge and experience, so procede slowly and ask for advice and readreadread. Just consider this a work-in-progress and a learning experience. I am sure you will create the system you are looking for with the reward of doing much of it yourself!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
update: called ASUS and they are sending me a fan (hope they know which one, they asked surprisingly few questions, no SN). The lady said put it in at a 45 degree angle, have no idea what that means :4-dontkno ... I have all 4 fans running for now, making sure it works safely is more important than noise. I wish I could hear each component seperately, especially the PSU, but the rest of the comp has to be on to hear it. I'm also picking up some sort of rattling, possibly from the graphics card fan? are those easily replaceable? oh well one step at a time. things for a quieter PC:new PSU (on its way), replaced northbridge (on its way), new case, new CPU fan and case fans. i'm reading up on silent PC. man even my dell is quieter!!! BTW, any thoughts on Arctic Cooling? they have an interesting fan design, please advise whether they're quiet or worth it and all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ crazyclown
Yes, getting your system stable is the first priority. As you read more and more from SilentPCReview, you will find that there aren't any miracle-cure components to be powerful, cool and quiet. However, good components designed with quiet in mind can greatly outperform cheap, generic stuff. The trick is to get good airflow thru your system combined with the quiet components so you don't have to rely on fans as much(fewer fans), and you can turn down the fanspeed for a more quiet system. You can see my sig for my system. I have one 120mm fan in front currently running at 1100 RPM, one 120MM fan in back running at ~900 and the PSU 80mm fan running around 900. I also use the Zalman 7000 with the fan at 1600. My temps right now are 70F/21C-Room 31C-Case 34C-CPU with just surfing. Under load, I usually see 45-50C for the CPU with 70F room temp. I have no Northbride fan, no Video card fan(although it is a bit wimpy for gaming, I chose it for its AIW capabilities and because it WAS fanless, I am not a big gamer). I am 1 foot away from my case and I can barely hear it. I have fan controllers so when I OC and do heavy video editing/encoding, I can turn things up a bit to keep cool. I do admit that I did choose all my components for my system with quiet performance in mind. Your GPU is the only component that is way hotter than mine(in performance AND temps :smile: ) in comparison. Zalman makes great quiet GPU coolers as well, you might want to look at them during your quest. Just start with the noisiest thing and quiet that, then repeat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

just got the antec PSU today (the smartpower 450) popped it in and i gotta say its much quieter. my comp is still loud, but that cut it down quite a lot. So now i can ACTUALLY see what Please means when he says start with the noisiest and keep going down, because the PSU isnt the overbearing sound. I dont mind a noisy computer, most of the time me or my roommate have music on so its drowned out, but when it comes time to sleep and i have to turn mine off its annoying. my goal is for my computer to be as quiet as his laptop (i know, probably impossible). So heres my verdict, loudest things are:
1) case fans, having all 4 on is pretty loud
2) CPU fan, this one fan alone is causing a lot of the sound
3) some unknown noise from the bottom of the motherboard, possibly GPU fan
so now i'm probably gonna go ahead and get those arctic cooling fans i mentioned before.

still havent gotten that replacement mobo fan, but hopefully with that fixed, the computer should cool down a little. I'm a little worried about this tho, like i said the person at ASUS barely took any info from me, and she said put it at a 45 degree angle, which i dont get. anyone know how to do this?

Another question, this PSU (which looks a lot more professional and has more connections than my older one) had a black and blue wire that was the fan control cable. i hooked it up where my fan should go on the mobo and hooked the fans all up to one of the peripheral 4pin connectors. Is this right? and whats the purpose of that black and blue thing? Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello Clown:

the two pin blue & white wire should go to a connection on the mobo named PWR FAN (powersupply fan) the task of this connection is to enable monitoring of the power supply fan and constantly change the spped of the fan in accordance with system heat (rotation speed)

there should be at least two molex connectors coming from your new PSU that are labeled "FAN ONLY" if they are present then connect some of your case fans to them ! They will be powered and spin as needed by the temp of the mobo reporting (variable speed fans)

regards

joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks joe, i had the blue and white thing in the power fan slot, but instead of the molex i'm putting the main two fans on CHA1 and CHA2 (chassis 1 and 2). I hadn't done this before. somehow it sounds like now its louder than before, but i'm not sure of that. I didnt see the fan only thing on any of the molex connectors. :4-dontkno I'm trying to figure out how to benchmark the CPUs cooling so i can keep it quiet while stilling making sure its getting cooled enuf. so i booted the comp and installed speedfan. It only shows 2 fans tho, Fan1 and Fan2, with fan1 rpm around 4600 and fan2 at 3200 right now. Here's my specs at the moment:

Temp1: 37C
Temp2: 42C
Temp3: 28C
Temp: 127C
Temp:127C
Local: 42C
Remote: 45C
HD0: 41C
Temp1: 40C

Which all show green checkmark or blue arrow except the two Temps, which are 127C, which shows a flame, whats up with that? should I stop using the computer or what? Also Is there anyway to actually change the fan speeds? kthx

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I dont know which componet is at 127C / but its cooking ???? ( i think its your chipset)

In your shoes and your quest for quite / I would go for aftermarket coolers / get the zalman 700 sereis for your cpu and I would use thermaltake 80mm case fans (cheap on ebay) they are quality and quite

Or if you are handy and not bashful / modify your case to accept (mount) panflo 120mm fans / they are the lowest rpm fans yet with those big propellers they really move air / the faster a fan spins the bigger the ear plugs you will need. two 120mm case fans would be pleanty for you . One bringing in air directly pointed at the CPU the other exausting hot air out / for that reason you may need to re-invest in a good quality case or be willing to dig out a dremel and start cutting ????? your choice

but !!!! if you get enough air flow going in that case you could then switch to a PASSIVE (no fan !!) chipset cooler those little 40mm bumblebee fans are the noisest thing on the planet at 4600 RPM"S

jut options to throw at ya

joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
still havent gotten that replacement mobo fan, but hopefully with that fixed, the computer should cool down a little. I'm a little worried about this tho, like i said the person at ASUS barely took any info from me, and she said put it at a 45 degree angle, which i dont get. anyone know how to do this?
Just got the fan today, anyone got an answer to this? it didnt come with any instructions. please help!! :sad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
thanks, that helps a lot! :sayyes: i was thinking that she (the person at ASUS) meant mount it at 45 degrees with respect to the motherboard so half of it would be in the air ??????? no, its just rotate it at 45 degrees. thanks again. I'll hopefully get the CPU fan and case fans (the AC ones) tuesday or wednesday. Almost done!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.