Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ive recentyly upgraded my system to include a new gfx card, psu, cpu and cooling and fan.

gfx card;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-179-SP&tool=3

cpu;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-191-AM

psu;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-008-CS

cooling;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-TQ&tool=3

my old system used to idle at 42 degrees which i thought was a bit high compared to alot of people's, so when i upgraded i sought to fix this problem... its now turned out 3 degrees worse!

ive had to take a small fan out to fit the cooling thing in but its got a 120mm fan with it so i thought it wouldnt make much difference.

any ways i could reduce my CPU temp?

speedfan says;

system - 31
cpu - 46
aux - 10
hd0 - 30
core - 5

i have the fan from the psu, a large good quality 120mm fan on the case and that cooling sytem listed above.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive noticed on speedfan it says;

sys fan; 1520rpm

cpu0 fan; 0

aux0 fan; 0

cpu1 fan; 1962rpm

aux1 fan; 0

so, its only listed 2 fans as running, which fans are my system fan and cpu1 fans?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
cpu fan is just that ....... the fan on the cpu / heat sink

only fans powered by the motherboard fan headers will show up in speedfan and be monitored ......

any fans which get power from a 4 pin molex plug will not be monitored by the motherboard

BTW: you cant count your PSU fan or yoru CPU fan while you are evaluation your case cooling set-up ........... both of those devices have a big job of their own ............ you should have a 120mm fan bringing air into the case (the intake fan is usually at the front of the case) and you should have 120mm fan pushing hot air out of the case ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent got enough room, that big cpu cooler is taking up most of the space.

Also, its not the system temp im bothered about, all the temps are ok but the cpu one.

I've used the paste and stuff. The cooler has had great reviews, im just wondering what's up.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I havent got enough room, that big cpu cooler is taking up most of the space.

Also, its not the system temp im bothered about, all the temps are ok but the cpu one.

I've used the paste and stuff. The cooler has had great reviews, im just wondering what's up.

where does the hot air go thats generated from the cpu and video card ?

you can cut a hole in the side cover ....... and mount a 120mm to that ????

google for "computer case modding"

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive currently got a hole in the side cover and a 120mm fan mounted to it.

ive checked around and there was a test graph that showed the best results for fan placements and a rear fan came out very cool but i cant fit one in rear because of the tower, ill try and clean the psu cables up a bit theyre reducing airflow but aside from that im not really sure what i can do to get it down.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
what are you calling core temp ?

download sensorsview pro (30 day free trial period) and maybe that will shed some light ................

do you now have a 120mm fan blowing air OUT of the box .............. and one at the front of the box blowing air in ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that program gives the same temps as speedfan.

ive just bought a new case and a new 120mm fan so i can set the case up for maximum airflow to see if that helps.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ive just bought a meaty new case, it has two front intake fans, two rear exhaust fans [top, back], all 120mm good quality fans and its lowered my temps by around 3 degrees

old temps;
system - 31
cpu - 46
aux - 10
hd0 - 30
core - 5

new temps;
system - 28
cpu - 46
aux - 13
hd0 - 24
core - 5

the reduction is negligible, and just to put the boot in it now sounds like a jumbo jet taking off everytime i use it. whats going on!?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
your cpu has a heat issue for sure .................. remove cpu heat sink ......remove all thermal paste .... apply a fresh application of artic silver 5 ...a dab no bigger than a grain of white rice !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.