Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to read my cookies but cannot find the folder.

Typically, I understand the following:

XP places the folder in \Documents&Settings\(user name)\Cookies - Not there

IE7 tells me the folder is located at \Documents&Settings\(user name)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ - Also not there..

When I click on "View Objects", it takes me to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and displays anything but cookies in the list.

Me thinks I have a bit of a problem... As I am only marginally competent with these matters, I need some help.

What to do?

Thanks in advance

Humberto

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Cigahs and welcome to TSF :wave:

It has come to my attention that you need to see a hidden file/folder. To do this you should follow either method that pertains to your OS stated:

Windows XP Method

• Click on the Start Menu
  • Click On Control Panel
  • On the right click "Switch to Classic View"
  • Double Click on Folder Options
  • Click on the View Tab
  • Bubble in "Show hidden files and folders"
  • Untick (Uncheck) "Hide protected Operating System Files (Recommended)"
  • Untick (Uncheck) "Hide Contents of System Folders"
In your case navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Cookies (Hidden) or C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Local Settings (Hidden)\Cookies

Windows Vista Method

• Click on the Vista Start Globe
  • In the Search Bar type "Folder Options"
  • Choose the first result and click on the View Tab
  • Bubble in "Show hidden files and folders"
  • Untick (Uncheck) "Hide Operating System Files (Recommended)"
In your case navigate to:

N/A For this case

Please do not touch or delete any system files or any file you do not know about when they are shown. Your system could become unstable or unusable if you delete or change a certain file that is needed for the Windows to work :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It worked!! Although there was no option to [Untick (Uncheck) " Hide Contents of System Folders" ], I was able to do the rest.

Is there any reason why Windows would do this instead of following the path set by IE7?

T

·
0 Posts
That has been actually a mystery for a long time. I know when you go to the Cookies folder manually alot it hides itself for some reason but I do not know why really. I guess the OS does it itself and this overrides IE7's programming. Like I said, major guess, right there I have no idea why. Try googling it :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll see what I can find out. But hang around. I have other issues that need some attention. Just don't know how to ask yet.

For now, though... Thanks for your help.

Cheers!!

Humberto

T

·
0 Posts
No problem at all, come back anytime and I will love to help with any issue that comes up :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.