Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right forum for my question. What exactly do I need in the way of hardware and software to convert my vhs movies to dvd and my lp's to cd? These are what I think are my relevant specs--I also have Sonic DVD and Power DVD, plus the Windows CD burning software--thanks!

1 N6835 INSTRUCTION, DEVIATE FOR CHAS L5.5/L6
1 W8400 PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 630, SKT-T, MALE
2 F6761 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 533M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 D3431 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, NMB, A215, SHIP IN BOX
1 F4582 CARD (CIRCUIT), CONTROLLER, 1394A, PC INTERFACE, ADAPTEC
1 P5288 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, 128, X300, SERVER ENHANCED, MRMGA8, 2
1 5U692 FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 3MD, NO BEZEL, SAMSUNG, CHASSIS 2001
1 J9058 HARD DRIVE, 80GB, Serial ATA, 7.2K, 8MB, Maxtor Calypso
1 U4931 DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 17, DUAL VOLTAGE, E173FPB, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 U5945 ASSEMBLY, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 16X, HALF HEIGHT, HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE, CHASSIS 2001
1 X9019 ASSEMBLY, DVD+/-RW, 16X, PHILIPS, CHASSIS 2001, V1

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Kristin60
For VHS conversion, you will need a video capture card and software. This setup from Pinnacle works well for basic do-it-yourself video editing, but be prepared to spend many hours doing it. If you have just one or two tapes to convert, then you might be better served having it done professionally.

For LP/cassette tape conversion, you will need an audio capture device and some software. You can probably use your current audio inputs, but you may need an adapter to get from the RCA stereo plugs to the single 3.5mm plug. It depends on your lp music source...most stereo receivers have the RCA plugs(left and right channel usually black and red). If you are unsure, take the cords from your stereo to the local computer store and they will set you up with the cables needed.
You will also need some conversion software. If your audio card(or onboard audio) has some software, it may already have capture software. Look in your Dell Jukebox or Dell Media Experience software and see if they have what you need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
converting to dvd and lp

Thank you for the information. On the lp to cd conversion, what would be the audio capture device--my sound card's audio-in jack? my turntable? Or is it something else? Thank you for your help

Kristin

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yes your audio-in jack(s) should work fine as the capture device IF you have the software that will 'capture' the signal. Capture in this case means recording the analog signal produced by the LP record as a digital file.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread,but...

I just got a LiteOn DVD/CD combo drive (Model #SOHW-1673SX) and I also wanted to find out about copying my vinyl onto compact discs.My stereo has RCA jacks and I think I could use my MGI VideoWave III software,etc. but I only have a sound card-no capture card. :dead: Can anyone recommend a good affordable capture card? Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated for how to go about this.Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Goldberry
Welcome to TSF :smile:
If your audio card has an 'input' or 'microphone' jack(and 99% do have the jack), then you can capture audio thru that. You would just need an adapter that is two stereo RCA plugs on one end(for your old stereo) and a single 3.5mm plug on the other end for your audio card. Your system may even have a microphone jack on the front, you can use that as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had trouble with pinnacle and competitors in the past.
I think the simplest solution is to buy a DVD recorder/player for $169 and use it to record VHS tapes. You can also record MP3's from any RCA input of music. Be sensitive to the DVD -r DVD -rw dDVD RAM DVD-Video format/media you chose (default: DVD -R).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.