Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently partition D: is set as the primary parition and is attributed as System.

Parition C: used to be primary and is attributed as Boot.
Additional Info:
OS - Win XP Home Edition

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't convert anything; at least not intentionally.

I have a couple of questions regarding this matter:

1 - Does the pc boot from D: or C: with the current settings?

2 - I'd like to change the primary partition back to C:, will that attribute it back as System?

3 - Assuming conversion, will partition C: still be attributed as Boot and will the PC still load from it?

4 - Why/How could this have happened in the first place?

I attached a print screen for anyone who needs a clearer picture of this unpleasant condition.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
40,888 Posts
C: drive is part of an Extended Partition noted by a Dark Green Border. There is no easy way to set this back the way it was. How this happened I can't tell you. I would backup all the files you want to keep to a USB HDD. the best thing to do, would be to delete both partitions, leave the PQService Partitioin and reboot the computer and Run the System Recovery from that partition. By pressing Alt and F10 at the same time at bootup. And restore the computer to Factory Settings. Acer System Recovery Partition Hotkey & Instructions (eRecovery)
You can also try to use a third party utility like Easeus Magic Partition Manager, and convert the Extended Partition to a Primary Partition. And then run do the Factory Restore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.