Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for some time now ive been having IE errors and Firefox + MSN errors

Ive had enough and ive been thinkin of contacting them, now ive checked their sites and so far i havent found any links

So if someone can supply me with technical help contact details for

MSN Messenger
Mozilla Firefox
BT Anytime

ill be much appreciative
thanks

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Not sure why you want to contact Firefox and MSN? Do not know what you expect them to do for you?

I researched a few of your posts and if I see things correctly, you have a dial up service and at times you get ping times that exceed 2+ seconds (sometimes up to 10 seconds), is this correct?

TCP/IP pretty much times out and assumes a packet is dead at 2 seconds.

Where are you physically located and who is your ISP?

I would be looking at your phone line and your ISP. Start an extened ping and see what ping times you have to the first hop from your network. You will need the tracert command to find the first hop. You may also need to start a 2nd DOS prompt and extended ping further down the network path to see if the problem is with your ISP.

You may have a situation where your ISP has oversubscribed services on there end and you are getting delayed response from anything you are trying to reach. In this case the ISP has to fix this, if they see a problem and actually want to fix it, or you should change your ISP.

With dial up, you should be able to get near 5-7 kByte transfer rate when downloading files. I saw you indicated that you had 1 kByte file transfer rate, which more than likely is a bottle neck with the ISP or a telephone line problem causing your modem to only connect at the lowest data rates.

JamesO

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if Firefox or MSN could help me, i aint gettin a very gd service off them, i mean MSN hardly ever works (messenger) and if u researched enuf u might have seen that i get a error message half the time when i try to use my browsers.

I can get to some things thru my documents. (usin my docs as a IE substituite)

Im located in the UK, Northamptonshire, and my ISP is BT Anytime

How do you start a extended ping? and the DOS programmes? i though DOS didnt work on 2kp (do u mean command prompt?) i also dont think they have oversubscribed me, as we are still payin the normal line cost and they cancelled us once for inactivity when our main internet pc went kurplut. But if it is a problem with the ISP how do i inform them? as they dont seem to have noticed, and also i dont think they give a damn.

Yes, i used to get 1Kb transfer, but as i said i installed some anti-spyware and it went to 3Kb, now im lucky if all my sites and MSN dont time out.

Also i was wondering, we recently ordered Broadband Package 1 from BT, as they are workin to make my fone line Broadband compatible could this cause a little hiccup with my Dial-up connection? and would a 2Mb connection rid me of this annoyance of timing out and such and such

Thanks for ur help :D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Your MSN and Firefox issue are more than likely your or your ISP problem. 10's of thousand's of people use both MSN and Firefox daily and if there was a major problem with MSN and/or Firefox, you would hear many more people upset about it.

Your problem is clearly your dial up and/or your ISP. If you get a broadband connection, this should sort your problems, unless you also have a computer that has issues with spyware and malware. Do not make any connection to broadband via USB, spend a few and get an Ethernet NIC if your machine does not have one.

Look this other link over for info about pinging

Useful TSF link

If you have a Windows 98 or Me machine, you will probably need to type "command" vs. "cmd" or just open a DOS prompt via a different method.

Your ping times will probably be between 150-250 ms I would guess, they may jump all over the mark and have time outs. If you have time outs, then nothing you try to access via the web will respond correctly.

You really need to perform a tracert and ping the first hop from your computer and see what kind of response times you get.

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.