Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post.

I have a wierd situation. When I log on to the internet, after a few minutes my system starts uploading and downloading like crazy even though I haven't clicked on anything. This slows my connection absolutely down to a crawl. I've tried "ad-aware" and "spy sweeper" and I still get this problem. I am running Wild Tangent "software/plug in" to play some online games. I don't think this is the cause because I run it just fine on my other system running Win98. Any clues?

AMD MP2000, 512 meg ram, geforce 440mx, Win2000, new US Robotics V.92 External modem.

I did notice this problem after getting and installing the External modem.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It worked great, thanks John.

ZoneAlarm worked great. I see alot of IP addresses trying to look into my system and it blocked all of them and the connection is no longer bogged down.

Is this type of thing inherent in Win2000? My Win98 system does not do this at all and I'm not running ZoneAlarm on it. Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks again John.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again,

I noticed "DLLHOST.EXE" and a couple others trying to upload something and was caught by ZoneAlarm. I'll check in TaskManager and see what's up.

Could these EXE files belong to WindowsUpdate and trying to log into Microsoft? Maybe I need to check the Registry also?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.