Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer is constantly shutting itself down without warning and rebooting.
The bios claims that the CPU temp is within normal parameters, however, when I touch the area of the power supply it feels much warmer than it should.
Should I change power supplies or merely add another fan the case?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
how many fans do you have right now ? have you tried running your PC with the cover off ? ...Also, make sure that your power supply is not clogged up with dust :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One sys fan, one CPU cooler and one power supply fan.
Furthermore the case is quite small and all the components are spaced very close together
To answer your question, no I have not tried removing the case cover, perhaps it will help.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
BIGGER POWER ...alwasy better...

BAD power is the culprit of more problems then you would realize....if you can $$ it get the biggest one that will fit in the case....

Not knocking the wizards advice but the PC was desigened with a certian air flow in mind to Cool the parts when they work right....by taking the cover off you might buy some time but you definitly wont solve the problem....and if it is heat related any damage being done will continue....

Also remove one memory stick...swap them....see if it is faulty memory

Are all your card seated, cables connected....is the reboot random...or can you spot a pattern....look deeper the answer is there...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
well, I did forget to ask about your system...what kind of setup do you have ? Mobo, how much memory, your HD specs... :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AMD Athlon1700XP
256 DDR 266MHZ ONE CHIP
40GB Seagate 7200
GF4 MX440
300W ATX
CD
CD-RW
SOUND/LAN ONBOARD
MINI CASE
PC CHIPS BOARD 266MHZ

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yeah, AMD's do get hot....and they do require juice so it might be what Doonz has mentioned...I would try to find a more powerful Power Supply unit. If thats not the culprit, you can always return it, hehe :tongue2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would spacing components further apart from each other help with the air circulation? if so would it not require a larger box as well as a more powerful power supply?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.