Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the senerio: I just purchased a new 500GB SATA HDD and installed it. Now, evertime I startup, it reboots on the windows loading screen. I'll go through my complete install senerio incase any of it is relevant.

My primary HDD is installed in the SATA 1 slot. I have a secondary 250GB HDD installed as a single on my primary IDE chain (nothing on slave) and 2 DVD drives on my secondary IDE chain. All of this as been functioning correctly for quite some time.

I install the new 500GB hard drive, boot-up and get a boot disk error. Open the case and find out my primary SATA drive cable came loose from the MOBO. Re-seateded it and restarted. I get another boot disk error. Open the case again and find the primary SATA cable also came loose from the HDD, so i re-seated that too.

Before booting to windows I open my bios config and it recgonizes all my drive, including my new 500 GB. Saved and re-booted and came to the option screen to start in normal or save mode. I chose normal and it booted to windows just fine.

I go to disk management and see my new unallocated drive, but I'm missing my 250GB IDE drive. I check "my computer" and don't see it either. So before formatting my new HDD I decided to do a fresh reboot and see if everthing detects properly.

When it restarted, it came to the option screen to start in safe mode, but no matter what I select now, when it gets to the windows loading screen it reboots. I disconnected both my extra HDD's and still the same problem.

I put in my XP cd, went to recovery console and fixmbr thinking that might be the issue. It confired it wrote a new master boot record, rebooted and still the same problem.

Then I decided to do a system re-install from the XP CD (new xp installation over the existing). I get to the section where it shows the exiting partitions to install windows, it shows "C: Partition1 [Unknown] 70896 MB (70896 MB free)". The "Unknown" throws up some flags, as well as showing the full drive being free, but I hit enter anyway to setup windows on the selected partition. The next screen just goes to format and doesn't recgonize my previous windows install to do a system re-install.

My guess is that my windows install went corrupt and I'll have to re-format and install windows. There's nothing on the drive I can't afford to lose (everythings backed up), but wanted to see if there's something else I missed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I verified the startup boot sequence. I've also removed all my other HDD's so only the windows drive is installed.

[update] I just ran a chkdsk /r and it found numerous bad sectors. Now it boots to the windows login screen but I received a message something like "windows found bad registry entries which it repaird using previous logs" or something to that effect - sorry wasn't able to copy it verbatim. But when I click on any profile it just reboots again.

I booted from the CD and it allows me to repair the windows installation now so I'm working on that now.

I'm guessing my HDD just went corrupt and I'll have to either re-format and re-install windows or get a new hard drive for everything to come out perfect again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Windows repair copied all the files and rebooted, then during the setup a fatal error occurs. Ran it twice and occured both times. The fatal error has multiple warnings saying "Setup failed to remove the product catalog XXX" with xxx being numerous .cat files.

There's nothing on the HDD that I can't live without (atleast nothing crucial) but I hate to give in to a reformat.

Anyone have any final suggestions before I go for the format?

·
Registered
142 Posts
When you reinstall your windows...make sure that u use a different hdd coz you cant rely anymore on a HDD which is showing signs of Death...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to do the reformat, but I'd like to check my hard drive through the recovery console and copy a few things to another hard drive.

I tried to do a windows repair first, but ran into those critical errors, so now when I boot to the recovery console it it only gives me the C:\windows directory and won't let me back out to check the other directories. Also, when I boot my PC it goes to the windows setup. Is a way to cancel the windows setup on startup?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
If you get a disk error or a fatal error during any OS installation.. check your disk is clean, non-scratched, hair free. If it is, and your CD drive works fine, your RAM or HDD is corrupt, simply.

Before you go further, download UBCD

Burn the ISO image file onto a CD then reboot, hit F8 or even get into the BIOS and configure to boot from CD drive first. Run the HDD diagnostic tools and Memtest86.. through scans which will take hours.

It seems your about to find many errors there.

See how that goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.