Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I can't think of anywhere else. My computer freezes up for a few seconds every minute or so. I've tried scanning with AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware and Syscheck, and nothing's helped. The only thing that ever helps is waiting an hour or more, and then not for long. Eek....help?? Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome LordofLowLight.....:D

How about some info on what your running there? Is it Store bought, Home built and a list of hardware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there.

I'm running an HP Pavilion. Windows XP Pro, 1.20 Ghz AMD Processor, 384 MB RAM, GeForce 4 4200.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this. There's a lot of stuff going on. Actually, I'm beginning to think it's a hardware thing, because this started around the time my CD Burner decided to stop working. It starts to whir and heat up and I think that may be causing it. But I think that may be caused by a virus, because AVG Resident Shield keeps telling me that I have Lovsan/A and tells me to run the software itself, but that does nothing.

Eek! I'm terribly confused. I've also got a HiJack This log, if that's any help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
Scan saved at 10:11:42 PM, on 9/26/2003
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Opera7\opera.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://schlockmercenary.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [anvshell] anvshell.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveNote] livenote.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Trace (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: VisualRoute Trace (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab
O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab
O16 - DPF: {A7798D6C-C6B5-4F26-9363-F7CDBBFFA607} (download Class) - http://www.gigex.com/ActiveX/vxpspeeddelivery.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Checked device manager and event viewer for anything fishy?

S

·
0 Posts
If you made a set of AVG rescue floppies try running the virus scanner off of them......:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know this may insult your intelligence, but you do update your antivirus, right? You would be surprised at how many people have no idea the antivirus must be updated every week, or so. They think by just having it on the machine is enough. These days, NO ONE should be without a firewall, either!

Other than that, you could try another antivirus program, like Norton. I've never had a problem with Norton, and it comes highly recommended. Updating any antivirus and running it should catch any virus.

You could have heat problems, which are a major cause of PC shutdowns and failures. Check your fans to make sure thay are all working, especially the CPU fan. Your power supply could also be on the fritz.

Is the PC under warranty?

I'm just throwing out some things.

S

·
0 Posts
Most likely cause of this is from explorer.exe located in your Windows directory.

Do the following to check the version of explorer.exe installed on your system:

1. Open My Computer

2. Navigate to Windows directory and right click on explorer.exe and select Properties.

3. Click on the Version tab and highlight File Version.

Most likely, the version you have installed will be: Explorer.exe (Version: 6.00.2800.1106 ) If this is the case, proceeed to Step 4.

4. Download the patch from the link below. Although the Microsoft page will not mention anything related to this problem, this will most likely fix your problem as it has for many systems I've worked on with the same problem.

Download Update here

5. Click on the "Download the 820291 package now" to download the update and simply install it and reboot and your problem should be history...............:D

I've never had to use it but it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update didn't do anything, but it's probably just good to stay up to date with patches.

I update AVG whenever they release a new one (I get a reminder whenever they do). I've only recently gotten a firewall, though. That may be the problem. As for fans, how do I do that? Do I have to take the case off and check or is there an indicator or do I have to take it to a shop? The only experience I've ever had with my comp's insides is installing graphics cards.

Also, recently I've found that sometimes my CDRW drive opens on its own and my computer turned on by itself once. This seems like a virus causing hardware problems or maybe just a terrible, terrible coincidence.

Thanks for the replies!

S

·
0 Posts
You could try booting to your Win XP CD and doing a repair installation. It shouldn't affect your files and may just be worth a try.

There are some instructions here............:D

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Let's go back for a moment to the possibility that this is the MSBlastA, aka LuvsanA virus. Go to the trend micro site here and use their system cleaner. Remember, you do not have MS Blast in your running processes, so we're just looking for some piece that might be left over that we haven't found.

I have had to recommend reinstalling the browser with the MS Blast family. You can go to the MS site and download the new file right over the top of the old one; this often wipes out the last vestiges of MSBlast.

Please, if this works for you, the fact that you were infected with MSBlast shows some security problems. Go to
Steve Gibson's site and use the DCOMbobulator, Shoot the Messenger, Unplug n Pray and XPDite tools to secure your system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

The problem is certainly your hardware. First possibility is that it's due to faulty ram. I'm uncertain whether or not you said you were using two ram slots, but either way. I would get both tested. By this means, I do not mean to test the ram literally with software, because from my experience this is not always as accurate and/or as good as one could expect. The reason I say this is because I've delt with software worth over 5k dollars and received no errors from ram that was indeed faulty. The best solution is to go to a retail store, buy ram, test the computer "their" at the store and see if that fixes the problem. If not, then it means either your hard drive is dying on you (how old is it?) or the motherboard is being a *****. I'm quite certain it's any of these problems. I hope that gives you some leeway. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ack...I can't find my XP CD. I don't suppose I could get a replacement from MS if I give them a serial number to prove I already bought it, could I?

Mek: That sounds like it may be right. I got a very cheap RAM upgrade from a small shop earlier this year, and that may be causing it. Would I actually have to buy new RAM just to see if that's the problem, though?

Thanks again for all the replies!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

I strongly believe so. I've never heard of anyone able to let you just try out ram before. It's not a big problem however. Ram isn't as expensive as other hardware may be. Just buy the ram, try it out, if it doesn't work, return it with your receipt and try again. If unsuccessful 3 times, I'd give that up and assume your ram is fine and move on from there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.