Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2-and-a-half year old custom built (by me) computer with an AMD Athlon 2500+ processor, 512MB PC3200 RAM, and a 120GB hard drive. Starting about a month ago, it would occasionally freeze, and I would have to reboot.

Now, the problem is much worse. Each day, it starts freezing more and more, and now, it is freezing every single time on startup.

Here is what I have been noticing: Usually, I will click on something, and nothing happens. If it is something in the Start Menu, it will stay highlighted, basically whatever I click on will look just how it did before I clicked on it. At this point, I know that in 5-10 seconds, the computer will completely freeze. Freezing just like how I remember in 95, 98, and ME. The mouse stays exactly where it was, the keyboard is unresponsive too, and I have to reboot. Other times, I can hear a "click" noise out of the tower right before it freezes. Whenever I reboot, there is a good chance that it will freeze up right on startup, and I usually have to reboot a few times to get it doing, but then it will freeze up sooner then later in the fashion that I just described. Now, I can't get the computer not to freeze at startup, and I've probably tried around 10 times.

If I boot into safe mode, everything is fine, and it won't freeze. In safe mode with networking, I can access the internet just fine.

I consider myself pretty computer savvy, and have tried lots of things to try to find the problem. At first I thought that it was the RAM, so I ran a memory tester, but it found nothing. Next, I ran spyware/adware scans from Adaware and Spybot, but nothing was found. I ran a virus scan from McAfee, and it was completely clean as well. Next, I scanned the registry, and about 330 problems were found, which I fixed, but that didn't fix anything either. Every few reboots Windows runs its disk scan, but that hasn't fixed anything either. I also ran Disk Cleanup

I don't know what to do next. It could be faulty drivers, bad hardware, I don't know. I don't know what to do next. What would you advise? If I left out any important information, just let me know, and I'll post it.

Thanks very much.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi david.amherst....

the click sound may be a sign of a pending hard drive death. It may be an idea to download the manafacturer's diagnostic tool and run some tests on the hard drive.

Other things to consider....motherbaord drivers, other hardware drivers, virus/malware activity, faulty PSU, heat issues etc.

Have you checked the vents for clogged up dust and checked the mobo for any signs of leaking capacitors? Are all your fans spinning as they should be? Also, programs like SensorsView and SpeedFan will be able to highlight any CPU temperature issues.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to backup my data right now. I put another hard drive in, and set it as slave. It appears in BIOS, it appears in the Device Manager, but not in My Computer. Basically, it has not letter assigned to it. I went into Disk Management, and it shows up there, but when I right click it, the option to Change Letter is grayed out. How do I get it do let me assign a letter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.