Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to post this because I cannot pin point what the cause of the freezing is.

The computer will login fine and will usually freeze with 10 minutes, sometimes within 2 minutes of starting up.

The screen just freezes and I can see everything which was on the screen. I notice that my keyboard and mouse both switch off and become non responsive, If I am playing music, that stops aswell. The system crashes but I have no idea what the cause is.

I Have opened up the case to look for anything strange when the freezing occurs but everything seems normal as if the system was running properly.

I have taken out my graphics card and ran the computer without it but the freezing still occurs, only this time I get black and white vertical stripes on the screen.

Figuring that wasn't the problem, I took both sticks of RAM out separately to see if I had a faulty stick and the freezing occured still. Here are my specs:

Motherboard - NEC Computers International P5VD2 - NVM
Chipset - VIA P4M800CE
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 525 @ 3066 MHz
Memory - 2048 mb ( 2 x 1024: DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Card - ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 series
HDD - Seagate ST3120213A ATA (120 GB)
HDD - Western Digital WD10EARS - 00MVWBO ATA (1000 GB)
DVD Rom Drive - NWPS 9U7GHAFKDM
CD Rom Drive - ATAPI iHAS324 B ATA Device
Monitor - AOC International WJ1780PI - 17 Inches
Network Card - Realtek Semiconductor RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Centre. 32 bit.
DirectX - Version 11.00

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi aaron11892,

Try performing a check disk repair on the computer and see if the freezing issue with your computer disappear. Also go to the manufacturer's website of your computer hard-drive and download the diagnostics utility. Put the program onto a CD, boot the computer to it, and test the computer HDD for any errors. Since you are using Windows 7 OS, you can try performing an "In-Place Upgrade" which will perform a windows repair on your computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try performing a check disk repair on the computer and see if the freezing issue with your computer disappear.

I can't even get this far to perform the check disk repair. I turned the pc on this morning and it froze on the screen where it says "Starting Windows". I tried going into safe mode but it froze in the exact same spot. I can't even login now to even try and find the source of the problem.

My power supply brand is called CIT and has a wattage of 650W which is more than enough. The PSU is relatively new, only a few months so I wouldn't suspect this to be the problem.

Also here are my voltages and temperatures from my BIOS:

cpu temp - 41 - 43 degrees
mb temp - 28 - 29 degrees

cpu fan speed - 1654 rpm
chassis fan speed - n/a

vcore voltage - 1.232V
3.3v voltage - 3.296V
5v voltage - 5.080V
12v voltage - 11.968 to 12.032V

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the CIT power supply is basically a mere paperweight at best. You can not purchase a decent power supply for the price you paid for that one. A good power supply would cost almost three times that amount for a 650 watt. I am not sure that is it yet, but everything points to that. Do you have a spare (or old one) that you can try in there for now, or a friend who could loan you one to try?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So are you saying that my PSU doesn't actually support 650W and is actually something much lower? Alos could you tell me specifically why the freezing occurs? It's only started freezing a week ago and it has been fine up until that point.

I do have an old PSU, the one I used to have in my computer before I replaced it with the CIT one. However since then I have a new hard drive and cd drive but they are connected via SATA cables.

My old PSU only supports ATA power connectors so I wouldn't be able to connect it back up. Would you recommend I buy ATA to SATA cables which will allow me to use SATA power connectors with a PSU which only supplies ATA ones?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I am not sure if it is putting out enough or not. When you purchase a very cheap power supply (regardless of the wattage), they don't put out what they claim a good bit of the time and they also (if they do put out enough) die very quickly trying to pull more than they are capable of.

I still think your best bet is to try to borrow one from a friend and see if it works. Or, Bestbuy (if you have one nearby) sells Corsair (a great supply), so you might go there and get a new one and try it. If it does not fix your issue, then take it back for a refund. OUr BestBuy doesn't even charge a restocking fee, so you could try it for free if your BestBuy does that. That way, you will know and not have to put out any cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.