Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Constant freezing after formatting

2K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  Mn3MoN1C 
#1 ·
I have formatted my computer 3 times now. At first I though the freezing was due to a virus/spyware given to me by my school's network. However, after the 3rd format, I had installed both a legal copy of Norton with the latest update definitions and service pack 2 before connecting to the network and is it is still freezing. I'm not sure why. Can anyone help me?

#3 ·
I never really gave it a chance to see because after I reformatted, I immediately installed the drivers and then Norton and SP2. Could it be my video card drivers? I just recently installed the new Catalyst drivers for my ATI 9800 Pro. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this.

Also what anti-virus would you suggest. The one I'm using is given out for free by my school.

#4 ·
I reccomend AVG which is here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 another is NOD32. Norton is known to cause problems. If that doesnt help i would start over, and not install anything new and see if it still has the problem. (Dont connect it to the net yet unless you have a router/ hardware firewall becuase you wont have any security programs installed yet.) Then one by one install the new items (Sp2, vid drivers). After one is installed give it some time to see if the problem comes back. If it were me i wouldnt even bother installing norton becuase it isnt that great of a security program and slows down your computer.

#13 ·
I'm trying to run the panda scan but my computer keeps freezing. I called in my problem to my Campus Tech Support and they think it might be a problem with my processor/mobo. Is there any ways to check without switching it with another(I don't have any spare parts). Should I try reapplying the heatsink with more thermal paste?

#14 ·
If I were you I would eliminate the possibility of a software problem before swapping your mainboard or processor (which is the only way to test such hardware at home).

Option One is to do a low level format on your drive which will clean everything off and give you a fresh start for doing a high level format with your windows CD - if you don't have a windows CD but a restore set-up, then this may not be the right way to go.

However, if you have a windows CD then download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility from their website (usually goes onto a floppy) and use it to set your drive to zeros - this will remove everything, so do back-up anything you want to keep. Once you have installed windows you will need to install your mainboard and graphic drivers, etc. If you do restarts as you load each driver you should be able to spot any problematic driver clashes.

If you're not sure which hard drive you have, you can use this to find out:-
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Option Two is to do a 'repair install' of windows which should leave your data in place (but consequently is not so thorough for troubleshooting the possibility of a software problem), however, it will mean you can try out the system without SP2 and with some assurance that your windows files are in tact and working as they should:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

With either option I would suggest leaving Norton off and installing AVG and Microsoft's anti-spyware program along with Adaware-SE and Spybot - all free and all well tried and tested software which does the job they were designed to do.

Peter

#16 ·
- EDIT: I came home and plugged it in to my regular modem as opposed to the School Network and it hasn't frozen yet. I'm starting to think that it might be some type of malware problem. However, what I don't understand is why it would freeze with their connection and not this one.

#17 · (Edited)
Well it could be malware from the school network and once it got on your computer it should continue to freeze your computer no matter what internet connection you have but otherwise malware wouldnt make sense if you just reformatted. Hmm, are you using xp home or pro, home only works on networks with a max of 4 computers i think, and if the school network has more maybe this would cause a problem.

#18 ·
Think in terms of what could have changed between the time when your PC was working OK and now?

It sounds as if you may have some kind of driver conflict going on - check out the soft/firmware for the network modem ... it might be that you have now installed software/driver updates/windows updates/etc, that are conflicting.

Peter

#19 · (Edited)
Could it be the Microsoft Updates because I don't think, now that I think about it that, that it started freezing up until I started installing Microsoft Updates. Is there a way to figure out if it is a driver conflict?

-EDIT: I'm using XP pro by the way. Also I'm trying to install the update "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1" and I keep getting an error. This debugging window keeps popping up with the error. I'm not sure if this is connected to my problem.

#22 · (Edited)
Theres seems to show no problem in the device manager. However, in the Event Viewer the only errors I see are the ones that say The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET Runtime version 1.1.4322.2032- SLC4F.tmp - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. and The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall. Does this have anything to do with my problem.

-EDIT: Also how do I reinstall all the updates?

Should I just try a clean format and then install the basic drivers and spyware/virus protection here. So that when I go back I'm protected? I noticed that I have been having problems installing the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1.

#23 ·
>>"Should I just try a clean format and then install the basic drivers and spyware/virus protection here. So that when I go back I'm protected? I noticed that I have been having problems installing the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1"<<

That would be my next move - do the low level format with the diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer's website - you then know you have a 100% fresh start - install windows and then the mainboard drivers - do a restart, then install the graphic drivers, restart and continue building up the system with restarts at each step until you hit the problem.

It's a lot of work but you should be able to identify the problem at some point.

Peter

#25 ·
If your computer only presents this problem when connected to your school network, then I would say there has to be something producing a conflict when you join their system. Have you told their IT staff this? They may have knowledge of known issues.

However, if you want to fully explore this yourself and you have the time and inclination, I would suggest doing the low level format and the windows install and then just load your mainboard and graphic drivers (use the ones that you know have worked ok in the past, rather than the latest versions) and then install the bare minimum required in order to connect to the school network and build up your drivers and various updates with restarts to see if any particular one triggers the freezing.

Try using an alternative security system, such as AVG, MS Anti-spyware prog, the MS firewall, etc, to rule out that area as a possible cause.

Take things one step at a time until you hit the trigger that sets off the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.