Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put together a computer for pure gaming and now I get a constant FPS drops (that is almost predictable) that made me turn off my computer because of how pissed off I get when the FPS drops happen. My computer specs are...

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
2Gig Corsair (2X1024) RAM
Radeon X1900 256MB
SATA Seagate 160GB
Onboard LAN/Sound

Constantly in WoW I can drop my FPS to almost 0 whenever I want (switch forms with my Druid, open up the spellbook, open the talent page, etc.) but, for example, if I switch to Cat Form with my Druid and do it again...I will have no FPS drop, but if I switch to Bear Form after Cat Form...I will get the FPS drop again.

The first week that I had the computer this did not happen and this is why it's making me mad, but I did have to replace my old IDE hard drive with the SATA one because the first hard drive died on me. My computer is about 40C when playing games so I don't think it's a heating issue. I don't think it happens on the other games I play (DoW:BC, WC3:TFT) but like I said, this problem did not happen the first week or so I had the computer and the problem just popped up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Welcome to TSF, EmployedHobo.

Please run through each of the steps listed under "Common Game Issues" in my signature. (Don't skip any, as they're all very important.)

Can you describe the fps drops a bit better? How long does it last, how far do they drop, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I must have missed the sticky. I'll run through each of the steps when I get a chance (pretty busy this week). Thanks for the quick reply and hopefully *crosses fingers* something simple will fix it.

One question though, should my CD drive be making a loud whizzing sound once in awhile? The noises it makes make me think I need a replacement (been about 3 years that I've had it). I have an extra one that I bought but could not fit with the IDE cable (the post is upside down for some reason), but I can now because I have the SATA hard drive. I don't really want to open and play around inside the computer unless I need to.

This is a very nice site, I'm glad I found it. :)

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
EmployedHobo said:
should my CD drive be making a loud whizzing sound once in awhile?
Probably not, but it's a little hard to tell from that description. If you think it shouldn't be doing what it's doing though, by all means replace it - especially if you already have one to replace it with.

EmployedHobo said:
This is a very nice site, I'm glad I found it.
Thankyou. We're glad you found us too.

Let us know how you go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.