Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I went to set up a friend's computer today and I came across something that I had never experienced before.

She bought a Dell computer with a integrated sound card and matching Dell Speakers. However when you listen the speakers play anything, you hear a constant and loud feedback along with it.

I checked to see if the speakers connections were damaged, unplugged, etc... Everything was great. I plugged the audio jack into my ipod and I heard great quality music.

Then on the opposite end I plugged in my headphones into the computer's audio jack. Again, I heard great quality music.

I spent quite some time with Tech support going through the motions - updating drivers, re-seeding wires, running diagnostics in the Bios - but nothing helped. I am more than certain that it isn't a software issue, but at the same time I cant' say it's a hardware issue since each works individually.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any ideas on where to go next? I was only able to suggest headphones, but that's not much of a solution. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good idea. My question is; is it possible for the sound card to be incompatible with the speakers? I never thought that speakers could be incompatible with anything, but we've already seen that its not a software issue and that the hardware on either end is not faulty. So if I exchange it for the same unit, do you think I'm likely to get the same result?

·
Banned
3,394 Posts
Hi U2XS

I am not sure that we are sure of anything yet. There may be an incompatiability, but i am more leaning towards a basic fault. The feedback you refer to is caused essentially when a signal is amplified over and over again, ie the speaker output is put back through the amplifier - out the speaker - back in to the amplifier and so on. Usually via a microphone type device. Try switch off any microphone that you may have, by muting it in control panel. Then try your music, if there is no feedback then you have found your culprit, either in the microphone settings, speaker proximity, or hardware fault. BUT, as i said, you do not want to void your friends warranty so be careful with what you attempt. It may be easier simply to take it back and get it fixed or replaced.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.